Brake lights not working 1979 Dump Truck

Gunny65

Question

I am picking up a 1979 Mach Dump Truck and the brake lights do not work.  The turn signals work, reverse lights work and running lights work but no brake lights (both sides do not work). I am going to pick up the truck tomorrow and need to figure out how to get them working before I leave the yard.

Do these trucks use glass tube fuzes?

Where is the fuze box located?

Is there a "switch" on the brake pedal that could be bad?

Do they come on when the air pressure is high enough or does the pressure even matter?

Any suggestions on what to look for first or how to do an emergency bypass just to get it home would be appreciated.

I have a fluke meter and a "basic" understanding of how to use it.

Attached is the only picture of the truck I have at this time.

Thanks.

Mack Dump Truck.jpg

Edited by Gunny65

8 answers to this question

There's 2 brake light switches. One comes on when air pressure is sensed in the brake lines. The other is set to kick on below a certain pressure, when air in the parking brake circuit is dumped. If I recall, the service brake sensor should be attached to an airline on the interior firewall above the brake pedal. The parking brake one is probably on the parking brake knob in the dash. It might also run the low air pressure buzzer and light.

I did find the switch and it is bad.  It is right under the floor board, outside of the cab, where the brake pedal air hoses connect. When I hooked the wiring back up, it just made the brake lights come on at all times.

Thanks all.

Edited by Gunny65
  • Like 2