Case 580k boom and stick operation Jerky!

fjh

Well Guys  for those who were following the bellow 450 JD Post Updating the 580 purchase here !Just getting around to making some use of the hoe and  So as one might expect the old case didn't come with out its ghosts! I am not an operator by any means But ! 

The boom seems like its on a hair trigger when you try to operate it  up or down And when you try to feather the stick and boom everything becomes very jerky Makes for a not smooth machine to operate Is it just the operator or is there something a guy can do to curb this feel! hydraulic tank is full!  swing and curl seem good power is OK it is Old ! but  it will easily  lift the machine of the ground !Is there something I should be looking into curb this issue! just wanted to pick the brains of any of you that have had one!May have to just live with it I don't want to install a new pump if this is the issue think it is over 2000 here And I can just work around it for that price! 

Thanks

how do the controls operate when machine is OFF ?  are they smooth or can you feel  uneasy movement  possibly attributed to pivot pins in linkage sticking ?  I had a IH 260A ,neighbor had a case 580 ; can't recall lever set up on his. whether levers go directly into pump control or had pin connecting linkage. doubt the boom pins can be lacking grease and sticking. with a full bucket of material for weight , how does the operation seem? 

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

are you are full throttle, or idle? 

full throttle does weird things to hydraulics. 

i very rarely run more than 1/2 throttle in machines.

I've Tried at several RPM Full and half pretty bad in most all positions Rpm wise! You really have to concentrate on the levers to feather them if you pull both in full its pretty even level wise trying to compromise speed with level not so much real bad in fact!  Thanx for the replies by the way guys! Any advice is appreciated! Not knowing what the machine should feel like new and not knowing history makes it hard to tell lack of skills is another issue !  Lack Expertise  is also in the mix! Like anything EXPERIANCE is very helpful! Likley a mix of operator and worn out machine! may have to do one function at a time to avoid Breaking things Its pretty violent at times! Also to add the extenda hoe gets jerky as well!  I thought maybe starving for oil??? Duno? the filters were changed not long ago!

Ant really speak about that particular machine, but I bought a used backhoe this year and it's kinda jerky when the boom is most of the way up.  Basically comes down to "how many inches of piston travel" = "how many degrees of boom angle change". The higher up the boom goes the more the boom moves per inch of piston travel. Mine tends to work pretty smooth when I'm using 2 functions at the same time. Helps to split the hydraulic GPM flow to slow down the sensitivity. I also run it at maybe 30% throttle?

if it is the same all rpm.it could be tired control valves, or worn linkage and pins. with machine off feel if there is play before the valves start working. that will be worn pins/rods.

if it is tight, it may just be tight valves and you are being "heavy" on them

when we got the brand 2023 315 cat excavator, i had to relearn how to run it as the controls are VERY sensitive. the old 94 312 excavator controls were so worn out you had to be heavy on the sticks.  the 315 you look at the controls and they respond. 

my friend had an old john deer 310 double ender that had worn out valves, rods, pivots, and levers. 

when we replaced everything it was like a new machine. no more fighting with the controls.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

if it is the same all rpm.it could be tired control valves, or worn linkage and pins. with machine off feel if there is play before the valves start working. that will be worn pins/rods.

if it is tight, it may just be tight valves and you are being "heavy" on them

when we got the brand 2023 315 cat excavator, i had to relearn how to run it as the controls are VERY sensitive. the old 94 312 excavator controls were so worn out you had to be heavy on the sticks.  the 315 you look at the controls and they respond. 

my friend had an old john deer 310 double ender that had worn out valves, rods, pivots, and levers. 

when we replaced everything it was like a new machine. no more fighting with the controls.

When I get a chance I’ll pull the cover a check into the pin and Clevis idea I kind of doubt it cause the extend acts abit funny also when operating it with the boom and it is foot control!  

Almost sounds like you've got warn out parts like the other guys commented and like you've got air in the system somewhere. Even the foot pedal for the extend a hoe is hooked to the hydraulic pump. Sounds like the old girl needs a rebuild to me. I own a Case 530 Diesel 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

Almost sounds like you've got warn out parts like the other guys commented and like you've got air in the system somewhere. Even the foot pedal for the extend a hoe is hooked to the hydraulic pump. Sounds like the old girl needs a rebuild to me. I own a Case 530 Diesel 

ya your likey right ! and likley will be working around it ! Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear! 🙄

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 10:04 AM, JoeH said:

Ant really speak about that particular machine, but I bought a used backhoe this year and it's kinda jerky when the boom is most of the way up.  Basically comes down to "how many inches of piston travel" = "how many degrees of boom angle change". The higher up the boom goes the more the boom moves per inch of piston travel. Mine tends to work pretty smooth when I'm using 2 functions at the same time. Helps to split the hydraulic GPM flow to slow down the sensitivity. I also run it at maybe 30% throttle?

So after playing for a few hours  and talking to a friend x customer who had owned one of these ! he  is  thinking ! Someone has tampered with the pressure on the main system to make up for lack of flow they jacked up the pressure in hopes of making things better how ever you  gain at one end loose on the other!😪

• Like 1

I borrowed a case backhoe few years ago seems like that’s the way this thing operated and it was brand new but that’s coming from guy that knows absolutely nothing about them it sure did the trick though. Beats the hell out of a hand  shovel. Ha ha good luck.. Bob