1941 Mack ED firetruck

Hello, new to the forum hopefully someone can help. I need a rebuild on my 1941 Mack continental 6cyl flathead. It was in storage for over 30 years. Though a mechanic about 15 years ago when it was froze up. Instead of the normal things to do to get the motor moving again he took the head off and then left the head off. Therefore cylinder walls were rusty and and number 5 was pitted. So I need a rebuild and or a replacement. I took this truck to my prom in 91 and I really want it back on the road. Any help would be appreciated. TyScreenshot_20230609_124256_Messages.thumb.jpg.0756dbb0cdf214bb05c4ecc4bacded3c.jpg

Jeff Wainwright

blaize02@live.com or

text 5705824263

• Like 2

The fire truck forums here should be helpful. Joining SPAAMFA could also be a good resource for obtaining parts and fire equipment. Easiest solution would be to find a good running takeout to replace it. Rebuilding can get very expensive, depending on the work involved to bring it back. Be prepared for some significant payout of resources to get it back into an operational state.

• Like 1

I don’t know Bubba I grew up a New England and I have never heard of it but if somebody would’ve offered me the shot to drive it, I don’t know what I would’ve said, except for. I’m sure the chick won’t go for it. I had a 55 Chevy convertible at the time which was kind of out of place.

Thank you to all. The truck was always in storage not in the weather. The rest of the truck is great no rust. I have time to play with and budget to get fixed. I have been looking up ED model macks and they seem to be quite rare. I will try the motor since #5 is on the downstroke I will hone as much as I can and keep pushing Kroil lubricant on it. I am thinking I am going to have to pull it though but he'll I will try. And as for the prom I had a 67 chevelle ss or the mack and the girl at that time chose the mack because it was cool and different. I am in Jim Thorpe Pa if anyone knows a good reasonable machine shop.

• Like 2

After reading your last  post you might just have a shot. I did the same thing weather slant six years ago just kept spraying the cylinders and tapping the pistons. I freed it up after a lots of patience. Good luck bud. lots of times all it is is the rings rusted to the cylinder walls 67 Chevelle that was right there with the 55 Belair back in the day. My best friend had a 66. Again, good luck bud.

So with tons of patience white vinegar and Kroil and hitting the pistons with a wood block and slight pressure on the crank back and forth it broke slightly. Though my bad #5 I will try to hone in place since that cylinder is all the way on the bottom stroke. I will still need a machine shop and pull the motor. I did message Steve S if he knew of a machine shop since I am about an hour away from Scranton. The guys from the Schuylkill fire museum are helping me out alot as well. Is this motor easy to pull?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...