Hi everybody, new here and just purchased a Mack Quantum

Gorilla

Hi Everybody,

Just purchased a really nice low mileage (relatively speaking as it has 580,000km)  Mack Quantum which means i dont have to tell you im in Australia ;)

Goes really well with its 470hp ea7 and 18 speed Road ranger :)  And the Renault Cabin really gives a great ride.

I am under the impression this is essentially a Mack CH with a Renault Premium cabin plopped on top of it as all the mechanicals look Mack.

I thought all 6x4 trucks had crosslocks but yesterday my heart dropped when i tried to get into my driveway and i couldnt find a button/switch/lever.

Am i missing something?  Were some 6x4 macks ordered without any form of crosslock?  How can i check if it has it?  If it does not have one then can i retrofit one?

The previous owner said the motor was rebuilt 40,000km ago as it hydro locked up...... is this a thing to watch of for the e7/ea7? ( i suspect maybe their mechanic took them for a ride and didnt rebuild anything as im not seeing a rebuilt motor just a healthy one),

Also is there anywhere i can get a repair manual for the Mack Quantum?  Mack in Australia are not nice to deal with and extremely unhelpful (wont sell me the mechanic repair manual for a mack as "im not  mechanic" hahaha )and i hope to never deal with them for anything ever.

BTW i know i know ill cop all the flak as its "not a real mack" but hey its more Mack then all the new Volvos with Mack badges ;) hahahah

Thanking you guys in advance,

Chris

Welcome to the forum!

As many guys on here used to say in such cases, we all like pictures!

They seem worth to be posted for another reason though to represent a look of your drive axles. If they're Mack you'd hear advices on diff lock options. But they may be found of a different vendor.

The same with the chassis. US-produced CH-model has straight rails of constant section front to rear. At the same time the most Macks produced in Australia (at least earlier models including R's) were built on R-model style frames. Their distinguished features were decline of the rail section to the front and spread over the engine bay. I don't know which style of chassis Quantums were built on, there may be a Renault frame found too.

Speaking manuals I doubt finding one for a specific Aussie model would be an easy deal. On my mind and from where I'm sitting the best chances you have is to check out folks (ok, blokes) in your neck of the woods. Going worldy you'd find a Renault truck manual (with Renault chassis and engine) and one for Mack E7 engine. The latter may resolve many of your potential issues and can be purchased from ebay or other common sources. 

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Nice looking animal.

The front wheels have American bolt pattern so at least the front axle is not Renault. Hopefully the rest of the chassis isn't too. Would be interesting to learn more on how this truck is designed. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

So far from what ive gathered its an interesting beast, all mechanicals seem to be mack BUT everything in the cabin is Renault including the badge on the steering wheel.  Interestingly she has a 24 volt starter!!!! yet 1/2 the stuff on the electric stuff is 12v and half is 24v (done a lot of reading), and tomorrow ill know more as my cb, uhf and cd stacker arent working so im going balls deep into figuring out the electric gremlins (on top of finding the stacker which has to be within 600mm of the controller thats on the dash yet the previous owner didnt even know existed hahaha).  Also interesting it has a really high end ISRI seat thats the best ive seen and with no evident long term wear but obvious its the original model.  

Welcome to the forum

The Renault Macks never sold real well but I find most Mack dealers reasonably easy to deal with in Australia 

Not knowing what part of this wide brown land your from I can't really help you 

Depending on the vehicles age will depend on whether the chassis number or the vin number is used when chasing parts, would be thinking yours is most likely the vin number

Depending on what your chasing will depend how you go, you have the build sheet and that is probably all you will get

A workshop manual probably never existed, from my small Mack knowledge in Australia

Mack used the next closest thing to a manual and there is all different manuals for different bits of the drive line etc 

I reckon Ebay in the UK would be the best place to start for the Renault side of the truck and to get a English version 

I would imagine for a cab over it will ride pretty good been a European based truck

Paul

Im in melbournes western side (sunbury) so closest place to me is cmv and so far they have been shocking to deal with including promising they would call back about something and never doing it, refusing to sell me a repair manual and the prices, oh the prices......it has been cheaper to buy in the USA and pay the crazy air freight prices and most of the time quicker!!! (have a ch mack that i was building during lockdown to keep my sanity but then decided i hate tipper work so she will be up for sale soon).

That thing is so cool! I'm a big fan of the MH Mack but they never made a low cab forward version so I'd guess this is the closest thing to one.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the frame is a Renault. Looking at this form here: 

It looks like the air compressor is almost touching the frame rail which I don't think the CH or R frame is that narrow. Could just be that they put the engine way low down between the frame rails but what do I know.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure they have a flat nose bulldog in the middle 

20230827_101910.jpg.589a9cf8990fd88b16e34fd405734628.jpg

Now that I think about things, Mack in NewZealand I reckon sold a lot more of these than Australia 

Maybe give them a call, they would of all been made in NewZealand at the Mack factory at Palmerston North 

Give them a call and I reckon they could help

Paul

• Like 1

I had a good look at the frame today and alas i do not believe that it is a Renault frame, it is a straight frame and the gap between the compressor and frame is approximately inch and a half or more so definately not like in the pics.  Im waiting for some money to come in so started withe the "free" jobs and alas ripped out all the interior covers and removed a old cd stacker controller and wires, got the cb and uhf working, fixed the foot air operated steering wheel adjustment but not putting it all together till I get the new stereo and will upgrade to the current model renault remote .....ill show you pics, its a really cool little joystick that controls your audio right behind the steering wheel that you can do almost everything on your stereo without removing your hands from the wheel and even answer calls on the new model :)  which will integrate into the pioneer stereo ill fit :) .  Im a bit of a french car nut ;)   So sorry no pics of interior although will lift cab in the next few days and show you the rest after i give the chassis+engine a good wash and detail as i hate working on dirty engines