1976 R model

Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

my truck has 22.5 Dayton wheels. Will 24.5 Dayton hubs bolt to a 22.5 drum. Would like bigger tires for appearance only. Have all new brakes,drums and bearings. Really don’t want to buy new components .What components can be reused. Truck does not pull anything, toy only.

Thanks Don

• Solution

interesting question..  since the brake shoe part numbers are the same, the drum diameter is the same..  I guess i would try to cross reference the drums for a 22.5 and a 24.5.  can you measure the mounting bolt pattern of the drum?  take a measurement from one bolt to another bolt but skip the bolt next to it,  I bet the brake drums will be the same..  because I doubt the would make that many different sizes, when the brakes were sort-of standardized..   IE: 4515Q shoes,  and a 996B drum..   lets see what the guys say..  Jojo

• Like 1

Yes,  the "24.5" hub will take the same brake drum. The hub (tech call spoke wheel) has to be the right one for the spindle. It will be called a 22" wheel. Spoke wheels were made in 20" 22" and 24" sizes. (just to confuse you a 20" wheel takes either a 20" tube type or 22.5" tubeless rim, a 22" wheel takes a 22" tube type or 24.5" tubeless rim) 24" wheel take 24" tube type rim.

Brakes are determined by the axle capacity and most often remain the same regardless of which wheel is used.

Seams like a lot of money for "looks" only, but that is my prejudice.

• Like 1

Also, back in the day when spokes ruled, there were differing drums for 5 and 6 spokes, but now they are combined into one drum that is drilled to fit both configurations. I mention this because if you look in older books, you may find two drums listed depending on how many spokes.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Just to be clear:

The big cast hub/spoke piece will need to be changed, whether you re use the bearing & races is up to you, the drum will have to un bolted and bolted onto the new hub and a new wheel seal will be needed.

If you are thinking you can just put a 24.5 rim on the spoke hub you have now, no you can't.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

If you are thinking you can just put a 24.5 rim on the spoke hub you have now, no you can't.

I think that is his intention.  No, 24.5" rims will not bolt to 22.5" spokes.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 weeks later...