Tesla

mowerman

I was at an event this weekend. They had a brand new one on display. After looking at that thing the Volvo didn’t look so bad after all ha ha yes they have no style whatsoever. As far as I’m concerned. Also, I saw Frito lay with a brand new one Friday night and Reno.

• 4 weeks later...

The battery powered vehicles have no backup propulsion like a Hybrid, so if you have batteries overheat or some sensor problems, you have to get towed. The main thing with all of that stuff is that when it breaks, you have to wait for someone that knows what they are doing to get around to fixing it, and finding the parts. This takes a heck of a lot longer than our dinosaur buggies. Heaven help you, it catches on fire.

• Like 1

pepsi distributor here was SUPPOSED to be ordering 200 tesla semis. 

used one for three days. after the third beakdown, they canceled the order and ordered 200 new T600 kenworths. 

about 150 have already been delivered. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, Miami Cossack said:

The battery powered vehicles have no backup propulsion like a Hybrid, so if you have batteries overheat or some sensor problems, you have to get towed. The main thing with all of that stuff is that when it breaks, you have to wait for someone that knows what they are doing to get around to fixing it, and finding the parts. This takes a heck of a lot longer than our dinosaur buggies. Heaven help you, it catches on fire.

Yeah, that is true, just like a conventional IC vehicle, if something goes wrong with the propulsion system, you have to get a tow!  Many vehicles it is impossible to do much on the side of the road. Unless you drive something from the 1970's or earlier, most problems are going to be buried and you are going to need space to work and likely a lift. If you want to compare vehicles most people are driving, you'll find most are going to require a tow if they stop moving, regardless of how they are powered.

Any vehicle that catches fire is going to be a total in very short time. I have fixed ones that had a small electrical fire (internal combustion cars) and I can say, if you don't have it out in about 60 sec, it is a total loss. esp true with modern vehicle no matter how they are powered.

People get hysterical about car fires but the fire dept has the right priority, prevent it from spreading! The vehicle is going to be a loss anyway.

• Like 2

I heard my company put in an order of 20 a couple of years ago. I have not seen them yet. They’re still ordering Ken worth and  Peterbilt but most of our trucks run day and night 2 shifts they would not work here anyway … Bob

In Australia there's a company that converts normal diesel semi's to electric with battery change over quicker than it takes to fill or have the required log book break

So if and when the charging net work and battery change over network are built, electric interstate trucks are a possibility 

As I have said many times on a Australian truck forum, dollars and cents will be the driver, not our thoughts or feelings 

Paul 

• Like 2

Many cars today require a ramp truck, just the way things, are regardless of how they are powered Ever work on a car hauler? not much room under them either. Many more electrics than Tesla. Musk and Tesla are gimmicky, while there is some good there in innovation, there are plenty of less gimmicky electrics that are solid performers. 

Ever spent any seat time in an electric? I have. You might surprise yourself if you can get over your prejudice of the power source. I know one guy who spent his life as, as he puts it "a dealer shop whore" working on high end imports (Saab, Jag etc) and racing Saabs. Has a '16 Chevy Bolt and loves it. "Only thing I have had to replace on the car is wiper blades and wiper fluid".

• Like 1