Kind of weird running E6

Ryon Hess

Question

Been driving this MH 613 E6 350 a couple weeks now and maybe I didn’t notice at first but lately after it warms up, or when it idles a while after driving, or after correcting itself then the air dryer purging causes engine to start a kind of rise/cycling down up sound that shows a slight drop in oil pressure than directly back up. fuel pump governor? Or maybe air dryer related? anybody encounter this or have any thoughts? They’d be appreciated. Y’all dudes been behind these Mack’s so long you’re a great resource for narrowing things down rather than a random shop 

11 answers to this question

6 hours ago, terry said:

Maybe when the air compressor kicks in slows the engine slightly?  Terry:MackLogo:

Yeah but it begins cycling after like down and up that shows from 33psi and at idle time down to 30 up to then down every few seconds then stopsq for minutes until compressor purges then it starts again. If i rev accelerator it goes away for a while sometimes or after driving gone for a while or when truck starts engine sounds great until air pressure builds and air tank releases air then it begins. 

Edited by Ryon Hess

Air throttle was fitted to some E6 macks in Australia 

800 and something the Australian Army had or still have

Hunting like this is pretty standard I feel when the compressor is pumping 

The oil pressure will be a bit unstable at low revs as the governor chases the engine up a down

Paul

• Like 1

I swear I worked on some MR's and LE's  with an air throttle..  I just figured it was a cab over thing..  However,  I am away from those trucks for many years now...   

• Like 1

I notice this on all my Mack E6's.  The gov springs in general seem to be a weak link on these and can be very touchy.  I bet the slight load, or lack there of it when the compressor is off, throw the gov springs off slightly.  

I wouldn't worry about it much, although it can be a bit annoying.   

But hey, it's way better then a new truck with a check engine light

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Full Floater said:

I notice this on all my Mack E6's.  The gov springs in general seem to be a weak link on these and can be very touchy.  I bet the slight load, or lack there of it when the compressor is off, throw the gov springs off slightly.  

I wouldn't worry about it much, although it can be a bit annoying.   

But hey, it's way better then a new truck with a check engine light

Interesting, good info. Thanks, E6 is new to me.
Ohh yeah, definitely agree.. beats a check engine light 😂