Steering box issue

Your's had the two set screws? The one in the weeds I posted does also (you'll notice the arm is still on that one!)

The one the cabover took had the big Allen head bolt in the center. I had a hardend 3/4" drive socket to get it out.

Look for punch marks  (or make them) to be sure to get it back on in the same orientation, although some will only fit in one place.

I used a big bearing splitter behind the arm and a puller to pull it off as I didn't have a gear puller of the correct size.

I think getting the set screws to come out after all these years would be the worse part of the job.

• Like 2

Oh boy, My guess is if they no longer deal in them, that the parts supply has dried up. I think the place mine was sent to for rebuild was: https://www.pss1.com/

If they tell you the same, I would guess time has run out on them.

I don't remember when I had mine done, it might have been 7 years ago or more. I just don't remember.

Might contact RH Sheppard direct and see what they say.

https://www.rhsheppard.com/products-services/products/remanufactured-parts/

Edited by Geoff Weeks

OK, thanks for that. MR they claim they deal a lot with 392   replacement box.899 with core would like to know thier background going to start with the Reno rebuilder see what this guy says. Thanks again for your help.

I saw S&S had kits, then noticed the date on the .pdf (2016)!  My 1989 had one from the factory, a little while later they came with either TRW or M-100 box, so I am guessing they went out of production around 1990. I was at the RH Sheppard factory sometime in the 90's, all I saw was wall to wall gear boxes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/9/2023 at 11:00 AM, Geoff Weeks said:

I saw S&S had kits, then noticed the date on the .pdf (2016)!  My 1989 had one from the factory, a little while later they came with either TRW or M-100 box, so I am guessing they went out of production around 1990. I was at the RH Sheppard factory sometime in the 90's, all I saw was wall to wall gear boxes.

Our shop boss  recommended I call straight line and talk to them. Good thing I did they said yes we do not rebuild them anymore but we do have a lot of parts for them. Just need more numbers off the box. I will do that Saturday weekdays. I am too busy. Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

Wasn’t sure if I was clear on that. Their website stated they do not rebuild them anymore but when I talk to them they said yes we still have lots of parts for them so I’m glad the shop boss suggested I call them. And yes, he was quite familiar with the place.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, parts already showed up yesterday San Jose is only 250 from here but still I didn’t expect delivery so soon now I have everything. I need it hard to get stuff. Everything else is just general shit you can buy at anywhere. Bob 

On 10/4/2023 at 9:22 PM, mowerman said:

Ok rebuild parts are on thier way from straight line steering they had every thing guy told me sector shaft bushings are obsolete now they have a machine shop spin 100 at a time since they sell a lot of them thanks again Geoff for your help.. bob

A good machine shop is a great tool to have your back pocket. Anything made by man can be re made by man, all it takes is money.

• Like 1