Steering box issue

Yeah that is good news.

There is a high pressure seal at the input shaft that can wear the shaft. If it leaks bad from the input shaft it might need that shaft machined/repaired. Last time I had to have that done to a box it  cost me a grand.

The good news is it can be repaired, the bad news is it is not cheap. I have found them to be a good box. I had three of them.

Let me be clear, many times you can just re-seal and/or replace bushings and bearing and put back together. If the input shaft is badly worn where the seal rides, that is when it runs into money.

Edited by Geoff Weeks
  • Like 2

Depends on what it needs. If the shop pulls it and sends it out regardless of the problem it will be in that range or a bit more.

If you take it apart and put new bearings and/or seals and bushings and the shaft seal surface is ok, it can be 1/10th that.

I did some of my boxes more than once, When a new seal wouldn't correct the leak because of shaft wear, it was time for the big rebuild.

They are big and heavy, but aside from getting the gears timed right, not too technical. There are a couple dots on the two gears to get it timed on center.  I think that manual I posted a while back may have the procedure in it.

If you just need to take some slop out of the pitman shaft IIRC it rides in a bushing with a seal at the outer end. You have to pull it all apart to get to it, but I did one of mine and it lasted.

You will not know until you have it apart. Just keep track of the input shaft orientation with the inner big piston, IIRC it is a triple helix ( can go in 3 ways). If you get it wrong the steering wheel will be off when in the straight forward position.

If you don't want to do it, I would recommend Straight Line Steering in bay area Calif. Give them a call and see what they would charge to go through it. Hardest part is getting the pitman arm off, There are 3 methods that the secure them, again covered in the manual. 

It is amazing how something that compact can be so heavy and awkward to handle. 

• Like 1

It looks awfully heavy frankly I would rather just sent it out and take my chances. Thanks for all your help and Joey I try to take some photos of the barbecue grill old lady already took half of the stuff off. She is a little sensitive now just lost her mom a month ago I can’t say anything. 

I can understand that. If you are just going after slop in the bushings or external leaks (the power steering works) than you don't have to do all the little disassembly shown in the manual, just pull the big chunks to get at what you need to repair. I did the input shaft with the box in the truck, pitman bushing require it out, so you can get at both sides.

Thanks again for all your help I have 3 big manuals a buddy of mine just had one rebuilt probably mentioned somewhere in San Jose. It might be the same place. He said it was relatively cheap. It was only around 250 but he has a 20002 F 600 Ford dump truck

No problem, I can understand not wanting to do it yourself. I did and have the bad back, aches and pains to prove it. Yea, sounds like the same place. They are known, I haven't used them (being in the mid-west) but know people that swear by them.

I had three boxes for two trucks, so would exchange them when one needed work.  After close to 2 M miles the original box wouldn't hold an input seal and had to be sent off for machining and a sleeve. I put pitman bushings in one, it wasn't hard but wouldn't look forward to doing it either! 

I had one (1983) that was built for Ryder's rental fleet, so have no idea how many million miles it had on it when I sold it a year or so ago. I do know I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere, one reliable truck. I know it wore out one Cummins block, already had salvage sleeves in it for 2 of the liners, and needs a full set put in it. I swapped in a newer engine and still have the original sitting in my barn.

It was the last time I needed them. They were in use at least through the end of the 80's. It is the two digit boxes that parts are no longer available. If in doubt call Straight Line and ask if they will have a problem.

OK thanks bud. I appreciate the information. I will call them before I do anything.  I’m thinking I might have better luck with them. Then Reno route builder. I don’t know. I would rather not send it off if I don’t have to. Thanks again.

Ha ha I see what you mean about the Pitman arm to set screws I took them out and sprayed a bunch of WD-40. I’m sure I’ll have to borrow a gear puller from Home Depot. All I have is a steering wheel puller I know that’s not gonna do it.