Mack CV713 ETECH ECM Nightmare

Salpolit
Go to solution Solved by 880joe,

Hi everyone,

I have a CV713 Mack that originally came with an E7 ETECH engine. Along the way, the whole engine was changed out with a Frankenstein parts bin engine before I bought it. The long and short of it is, the ECM on this engine fried out completely, and no data on it is recoverable. My Mack dealer is unable to help, as they cannot verify exactly what engine was put in the truck as they claim Mack/Volvo now requires both the truck VIN and the engine numbers before they can release a tune.

I spoke with the previous owner, who informed me the ECM that was on the Frankenstein engine is the original ECM that came with the truck, so by all rights we should be able to get it programmed by the dealer with just the VIN, but Mack/Volvo is making that impossible now. The dealer was able to tell me the truck came with an E7 ETECH 400 engine. I am in a bit of bind here, as this truck is completely dead in the water and the dealer is basically telling me to pound sand. Any ideas? I did already purchase a reman ECM that just needs to be tuned, does anybody here offer any type of ECM programming services?

Thank you

IMG_0934.JPG

The trucks vin should tell them what ever it was born with !

just saying!

it would still be usable with that info in my mind!Order the correct ecu for the vin and go from there! It has to be combat-able  with the vehicle ecu !

Correct Joe  the base program will run the truck 250 hp is better than no hp !He has odviously got hook up with a parts guy that is clueless ! And unable to work with the Volvo trash parts system the info is there it’s just buried! Or swept into a corner in the program somewhere! Just got to know how to get it! Note the reman ecu numbers start with an X! I believe! If they search with out the x it will show no stock!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the ECM that originally came in the truck is 12MS523M and I purchased the same model number reman ECM. I’ll go back to the dealer and have them give it another go and press the issue further.

Wish me luck!

Would somebody be able to provide me with a VIN number of a 2003 Mack CV713 with an Etech 400? Dealer is saying if they get a standard Vin number they can most likely get the tune released.

1 hour ago, 880joe said:

Why couldn't they use your vin# instead of some random vin#. Seems to me like if they could program it off another vin they could do it off of the original vin

For one thing the program will not let you program a truck with miss matched ECU/ VECU The progam compares the two before it will flash the data I beleive!

I am no guru on this by any means but I know we tried reflashing donor ECUs It don't work!

• Like 1

I wonder if V-Mac III systems are even taught any more at MackVo?  I used to use Mack software with PTT, to flash a V-Mac III. EECU.  There was a handful of steps..  

Would the standard vin that dealer is wanting not going to be a mismatch also? Is this truck a glider originally if not then why would you be able to use a random vin and not the original the new ecm shouldn't have a vin# assigned to it

• Like 1

When you buy a reman ecu the truck vin  is wiped clean until you install / download it! There is base hp 250 in there but that’s it! It then teams up with the vecu to finish the match! Is the way I understand it! 
agian not a guru on this electronic magic stuff!

I remember having to wait for Mack to authorize an EECU dowlnoad.. There was a confirmation number that had to be entered, to get a green light to continue.  we would download what was on the existing EECU, and save it to a file, then use that file within V-Mac programming, combined with PTT, and flash the EECU.. (Before PTT we could use Mack software alone to get the job done),  Then when the flashing was complete and confirmed through PTT, I would go in and look at the list of parameters, and re-set the owners settings back to original.  

So to the guys that ask if MackVo has an after market set-up...   I dont know, and I doubt it...  just my F'd up opinion..  Jojo

On 4/25/2023 at 8:37 AM, Salpolit said:

Would somebody be able to provide me with a VIN number of a 2003 Mack CV713 with an Etech 400? Dealer is saying if they get a standard Vin number they can most likely get the tune released.

GIVE THEM YOUR VIN NUMBER, WTF????

Dealer incompetence is ridiculous...

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if Volvo, stopped teaching parts guys how to look up Mack parts? And now the parts counter is all new people with no knowledge, just Volvo training, (sculpting)..  I experienced some of it in the service dept. When I tried to go back to Mack about 6 years ago..