jake brake

Troy8182

Question

15 answers to this question

A 2005 Granite, CV-713, with a Mack engine, will have an ASET-I EGR.... ( Application Specific Engine Technology - Internal EGR). It's E-7 on steroids..  

56 minutes ago, Troy8182 said:

i have a granit mack 2005 with a mp7 engine and im having issues on low side jake brake i was curious wich cover was high and wich was low side that way i didnt half to pull both covers?  any help would be much appreciated

un plug where there go in to the head and try the brake you will find out in short order!

• Like 1

Yes to all that, and you can also jump power off the alternator to the pin sicking out of the valve cover and hear the celenoid click.  Front I s low and both are high. Be careful pulling the valve cover, the celenoid wire is shet and doesn't allow you to lift the valve cover very high.. I assume AI engine and not an MP-7

can the phrase having issues be narrowed down ?  low side works ; not great or not working at all.  do the new solenoids have o-rings ?? possibly failed o-ring. which case a solenoid can be heard when current placed to it yet faulty o-ring would lessen working capabilities ??? i' m liking to learn the new stuff. 

Mech.. the ASET- series uses a Mack branded engine brake called Power leash... There are 2 rings per celenoid. The bottom one will cause the engine brake to stay on at all times if it fails.  Regardless of switch position. Good question about weak operation or no operation..  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

hope the "power leash " took lesson from dynatard  actually does something besides make noise 😄

The Green Hornet's MP8 has the power leash or Brake leash on it. It works really well. Basically if I set the cruise and flip the switch for the Jake's the brake leash allows me to set the speed at which the Jake's come on. So if I set the cruise at 70 I can set the brake leash for 72 and if the truck gits above that the Jake's kick in. Don't know if it's the same thing they're talking about though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

The Green Hornet's MP8 has the power leash or Brake leash on it. It works really well. Basically if I set the cruise and flip the switch for the Jake's the brake leash allows me to set the speed at which the Jake's come on. So if I set the cruise at 70 I can set the brake leash for 72 and if the truck gits above that the Jake's kick in. Don't know if it's the same thing they're talking about though. 

for an ole man such as myself, reading  how the computers are taking more responsibility for the driving;/operation  of the big rigs. it's like the tv commercials showing the self driving cars. basically the computer puts the engine brake on . times change . guess it's a positive. 

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

for an ole man such as myself, reading  how the computers are taking more responsibility for the driving;/operation  of the big rigs. it's like the tv commercials showing the self driving cars. basically the computer puts the engine brake on . times change . guess it's a positive. 

Yeah It's something to git used to. I'm just glad it still has the Stage Switch and the Jake actually does it's job lol. The brake leash is nice. I think on The Green Hornet it's called Cruise brake on the screen. 

• Like 1

easiest way is to call them all engine brakes; whether it be a dynatard, power leash, brake leash or (best for last ) jake brake!! LOL   long as it's NOT called exhaust brake . which are good just not best. my '93 Hino had an exhaust brake . I found it to be great for a little 6 wheeler when max out on GVW. 

• Like 1

Mech.. I have had the opinion for years that the truck buyer of today is the R+D for the truck makers, to help develope driverless trucks..  it sucks.. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 8:00 AM, Troy8182 said:

i have a granit mack 2005 with a mp7 engine and im having issues on low side jake brake i was curious wich cover was high and wich was low side that way i didnt half to pull both covers?  any help would be much appreciated

You don't have an MP 7 with two valve covers.  Or a 2005 with an MP7.   just in case you search somewhere else for info. 

Edited by Mark T
spelling