2 Part question

GoldDogTrucking

2011 CHU613 MP8

1. Fan clutch failed so I bought the kit masters air conversion kit, is there a way to get that installed and the computer told to switch over to air without going to Mack because mine is deleted and they say the new update will do away with the delete tunes?

2. All of my emissions is still on the truck and plugged in but the truck is deleted, can I unplug and remove everything to run a straight pipe or what has everyone else done?

1 hour ago, GoldDogTrucking said:

2011 CHU613 MP8

1. Fan clutch failed so I bought the kit masters air conversion kit, is there a way to get that installed and the computer told to switch over to air without going to Mack because mine is deleted and they say the new update will do away with the delete tunes?

2. All of my emissions is still on the truck and plugged in but the truck is deleted, can I unplug and remove everything to run a straight pipe or what has everyone else done?

Most guys punch holes in the cat! if yours is deleted it has likely been done already!

• Like 1

I saw lots of delete related fan clutch issues and hear of even more today from friends at dealerships. The huge  Borg Warner Cool Logic fan clutch was a disaster and Mack kept using it till 2013-14 . Then the smaller Behr fan came out in a kit with fan blade and all needed parts included. Bad news is to make it work correctly the engine ECM needed to be reprogrammed from the dealership. The dealership contacts Mack and they make the change in the programing for that specific truck and the dealership programs the ECM with the complete program. Sadly you can’t pick and choose what you want going back in to the ECM. It’s all or nothing. Same goes for changing to a air fan clutch. Now I’m hearing that several guys who already changed to the new fan clutchs and got the correct program installed by the dealership then later got theirs deleted and now the fan clutch won’t engage because the file the delete guy put in has the old Borg Warner fan clutch programing mixed in with it.  It was quite a mess for a lot of guys. Most all of these delete guys know nothing of the actual files going into the trucks . They go buy a bootleg version of Tech Tool and have some out of country 3rd party people remote in using Team Viewer and shoot the software into the truck . I have not seen it affect trucks that already had air fan clutches on them though. However never really saw very many Mack Mp truck with air fans. Mostly Fleet trucks like UPS and Kenan seemed to always use Horton air fans. Air fan on Volvos are super common. 

Edited by Mackpro
  • Like 1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just my .02

You want to swap from electric clutch to air?  Why not use an air solenoid?  Use computer signal to actuate the solenoid to turn on/off air to the new clutch?  

Or is there a lot more to it?  Seems like it would work.  Not so much if you were swapping the other way.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Mackpro, that’s exactly what I’m running into.  Freightrain, Mackpro too, the air conversion kit came with a solenoid that would accept an existing plug on the truck.  I’m wondering why I couldn’t just put the fan on a clutch or could it be possible to find someone that can go into the computer and switch it over to air from electric?

15 hours ago, GoldDogTrucking said:

Mackpro, that’s exactly what I’m running into.  Freightrain, Mackpro too, the air conversion kit came with a solenoid that would accept an existing plug on the truck.  I’m wondering why I couldn’t just put the fan on a clutch or could it be possible to find someone that can go into the computer and switch it over to air from electric?

If you use the existing signal from the computer, why would it care if it knows if it is electric or air?  As long as it comes on when it is supposed to.

Larry

13 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

If you use the existing signal from the computer, why would it care if it knows if it is electric or air?  As long as it comes on when it is supposed to.

Because it has to go down the right Wire! Magic fan and air fan are two different animals! one runs on mil volts one runs on 12 volts! Air fan has 12v solenoid!

• Like 2

Use signal wire to turn on small relay to control the air solenoid.   That removes the need for big current control from the computer signal.

Look squirrel......

I have a set of train crossing lights that activate when my garage door opens/closes.  I have the new style opener that spins the cable shaft to raise door(no more arm on the center of the door).  It is a 12v motor because it has its own battery back up.  It won't run the 12v bulbs in the train signal without throwing an over current warning.  So, I put a small 12v relay on the motor wires that now close the points on a 12v transformer that runs the lights.   Works perfect.

• Like 1

Larry

I’m pretty sure there’s an entire harness plugged into it.  I’m thinking there may be a way to wire it off a thermal switch but I have a call into Kit Masters to see if they offer a solution.  I know the older trucks that didn’t have any computers had a way to turn the fan on and off.  Surely there’s a way. 

a shutterstat will work providing it opens at right temp for fan to kick on . before the computers took over ,a simple easy to install fan control was just an on/off switch in cab going to an electric over air solenoid having #4 air (1/4 plastic) line to fan hub. today's world much more technical. can't just take any power source . air valve in cab totally eliminates the computer ; bit more work to mount an air switch neatly in cab and run line to fan. not knowing for sure if the fan changing from on to off will kick signal to computer of engine problem ??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

a shutterstat will work providing it opens at right temp for fan to kick on . before the computers took over ,a simple easy to install fan control was just an on/off switch in cab going to an electric over air solenoid having #4 air (1/4 plastic) line to fan hub. today's world much more technical. can't just take any power source . air valve in cab totally eliminates the computer ; bit more work to mount an air switch neatly in cab and run line to fan. not knowing for sure if the fan changing from on to off will kick signal to computer of engine problem ??

How about doubling it up.  Use shutterstat for normal operations then have another air line with solenoid and switch on dash to operate? 

Or use a TP flip valve for using air only?  I'm sure in the right catalog you could find a small/simple air on/off valve.

• Like 1

Larry