laundramats...

RowdyRebel

I was looking for stackable washer and dryer so I could build them into the one wall in the bathroom, small house. I looked and looked at cheap units very unusable for us until we looked at Miele units, they had standard size tubs and still fit where I wanted them that was about 15 years ago, and Marianne has been trying to wear them out ever since I installed them a load of clothes about every other day. At the prices you're quoting I guess the price in the end wasn't that bad for the units.

• Like 1

If you ever have anyone tell you "washing machines don't eat socks" they're lying to you!

So when I pulled the old pump out, I saw what looked to be a large clump of lint...figured about 20 years worth of gradual build-up...on the inlet side, which would explain why it quit working. Apparently my wife is more curious than I am, because she pulled that clump of lint out & discovered it was actually one of the kids' socks. Damn washer ACTUALLY tried to eat a friggin' sock! Choked on it, too...which is why I had to tear it apart & replace the pump. Wife thinks the old pump would still work now that the sock is out of it. I said "new pump cost less than your trip to the laundramat. It can stay in there."

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

On 11/6/2022 at 5:51 PM, RowdyRebel said:

Been to one lately? Our washer quit working...wouldn't drain. Part wouldn't be here in time for her to do laundry on one of her days off, so she took the dirty clothes to a laundramat to wash. One week's worth of clothes for 2 adults and 2 kids (2 & 5). Damn near $25...JUST TO WASH!!! She brought the wet clothes home to dry. At that rate, a person is basically buying a washer every couple months...and if drying their clothes, too, they'd likely be buying the dryer, too. How do those places stay in business? Seriously...if I were spending $150-$200/month doing laundry someplace other than my home, where I had to haul my dirty laundry to town & haul the clean clothes back, I'd be doing everything I could to buy my own washer & dryer! Absolutely ridiculous.

The good news is for less than $30 we got the new drain pump & it was pretty easy to put on myself...and it got here in time for me to get done this weekend when I was off work. Gave 'er a good cleaning while I was at it...bought the washer & dryer not long after I bought the house, so they're approaching 20 years old. Dryer got a new heating element almost a year ago. Other than that, they've been pretty reliable...and easy to fix...and the parts that broke were fairly reasonably priced. Yes, we buy the OEM parts...figure the 1st ones lasted this long, why go with cheaper aftermarket ones that the reviews say have to be replaced again in a year or two? I prefer things to just work.

Yup been like that for years!  moved into a fifth wheel while building my last house 15 years ago ! Did the laundry mat thing twice and decided I would buy a used Kenmore  washer and drier and put it in my shop that I had already built on the property! The washer and dryer 250 for the set  payed for them selves over 3 washes! To top it off they lasted another 6 years after moving in to the new house! I'd be willing to bet that the people that sold us the machines (She wanted new stuff)  are on their third NEW washer and drier since they sold us their stuff! But even buying new would out weigh going to the laundromat even if you had to replace every two years! We replaced these with another used set a while back the washer is now acting up as the progression to newer and newer stuff looms closer! Soon I will be stuck buying a new washer with no option to buy the good old stuff! Until I cant  find the old stuff I will continue to buy the used ! Don't care how fancy the new shit looks they Don't last !  Just like The  Mack/Volvo Trash trucks of today! So much for the environment!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 8:09 AM, fjh said:

Yup been like that for years!  moved into a fifth wheel while building my last house 15 years ago ! Did the laundry mat thing twice and decided I would buy a used Kenmore  washer and drier and put it in my shop that I had already built on the property! The washer and dryer 250 for the set  payed for them selves over 3 washes! To top it off they lasted another 6 years after moving in to the new house! I'd be willing to bet that the people that sold us the machines (She wanted new stuff)  are on their third NEW washer and drier since they sold us their stuff! But even buying new would out weigh going to the laundromat even if you had to replace every two years! We replaced these with another used set a while back the washer is now acting up as the progression to newer and newer stuff looms closer! Soon I will be stuck buying a new washer with no option to buy the good old stuff! Until I cant  find the old stuff I will continue to buy the used ! Don't care how fancy the new shit looks they Don't last !  Just like The  Mack/Volvo Trash trucks of today! So much for the environment!

That's what I have...Kenmore. As long as I can get parts for them, I'll keep fixing them. Going on 20 years old right now. Dryer got a heating element a year or so ago, and the washer just got a discharge pump...that PROBABLY didn't NEED to be replaced once the sock blocking it was removed. But, I had the new pump in my hand before I tore into it & figured for the <$30 it cost me, I may as well just throw it in. I've looked at aftermarket parts & read the reviews. I'd rather pay a little more & get the OEM stuff that lasted this long to replace the worn out parts & pieces. Washers & driers are actually pretty simple to work on...not much to them.

Next time an appliance quits on you, check out www.genuinereplacementparts.com ...they seem to be fairly reasonable on prices for OEM parts. No need to shop for a used washer/dryer if you can fix the one you've got for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

14 minutes ago, RowdyRebel said:

That's what I have...Kenmore. As long as I can get parts for them, I'll keep fixing them. Going on 20 years old right now. Dryer got a heating element a year or so ago, and the washer just got a discharge pump...that PROBABLY didn't NEED to be replaced once the sock blocking it was removed. But, I had the new pump in my hand before I tore into it & figured for the <$30 it cost me, I may as well just throw it in. I've looked at aftermarket parts & read the reviews. I'd rather pay a little more & get the OEM stuff that lasted this long to replace the worn out parts & pieces. Washers & driers are actually pretty simple to work on...not much to them.

Next time an appliance quits on you, check out www.genuinereplacementparts.com ...they seem to be fairly reasonable on prices for OEM parts. No need to shop for a used washer/dryer if you can fix the one you've got for a fraction of the cost.

HA HA ! I got a spare one to in the cupboard  above the washer that I didn't use due to a similar scenario ! So funny! found a leak else where!

i am still using the kenmore gas drier my parents bought used in 1956. it was two or three years old when they got it. 

only thing changed in all these years was 1 thermocouple, 1 door light switch, 1 lint collector screen, and 2 sets of door cables. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

A little lesson learned more than 10 years ago when I was still married & had 2 dogs & 3 cats.  All blankets, bedding, towels, & anything else pets might lay on, go in the dryer 1st. After 30 minutes in the dryer then they can be washed & dried.  The dryer has a way to capture hair (lint trap). The washing machine does to (Pump inlet). It's much easier to pull out and clean the lint trap!

• Like 2