470ccrs will not start

I have a 2004 Mack Qantum with a 470ccrs that will not start after timing out while at a fuel station, engine turns over perfectly but will not fire.

Had a truck autolec check for 12 volt at ECU and is OK but no current at injectors! Mack technician came with new ECU but having trouble getting connection to ECU. All wires checked throughout cab for wear but coming up OK.

Mack technician can read some info  from VCM but cannot connect to the ECU to install data so truck still sitting around and Mack techs are stumped, has anyone here  had a problem similar?

Thanks 

Mack Gazza 

Edited by Mack Gazza
Adding motor

wonder if this is the technology  we were talking about in the redesign forum!  don't remember any B-models having a "wake up" wire . and to show my old age what is a CCRS engine or a VECU  EECU . in B-model terms is that an injection pump to injectors .  I don't think my 1/25 scale B-81 has a CCRS engine; and I know the 1/25 DM800 doesn't . that's being repowered with a 600hp t win turbo cummins.

• Haha 1

Thanks Larry H,

Mack technician today managed after a lot of computing and talking on the phone to get the software on to the ECU but still no start!

While he was checking voltage on the injectors l noticed a wire joiner/Junction from the camshaft position sensor that was cracked from being old and lots of heat over time and found the insulation on the wires was rotted allowing the wires to be touching, so next step is getting a new sensor.

Would those wires touching each other stop the engine from starting on this engine?

Mack Gazza.

Thanks Joey Mack, have fitted brand new cam position sensor and still no start , as l have said a new ECU  has been fitted but no or very very low voltage at the injectors, would there be any other sensors on this motor that would keep it disabled  like this?

This problem has us all pulling our hair out, any ideas  are welcome......Mack Gazza 

ok,, I have been posting on a few topics, so I get a little lost...   Did you check the sensor wires at the flywheel sensor..  RPM/TDC.??  Do you know where all the grounds are? and did you check them?  The big one on the left side of the block in front of the starter will be a problem if it comes loose.. It is probably the most important ground..   If you have access to the 9-2 code flow chart, it will guide you through, checking the grounds...  I/We have posted this many times here..  its in the search bar.... (9-2 code)...  i use this trouble shooter to solve more than just "Power re-set Without the Key"   jojo

what is the condition of the "Power Dist. Box" next to the steering column?  I think fuse 40 is the EECM..  3rd row from the left half way down, 25 or 30 amp's.. a lot of times the legend inside the cover, get's water damage and is hard to read..    jojo

• Like 1

as far as EUP issues, are you getting any 8-? codes??  the big ground bolt in front of the starter is crucial..  it needs to be clean and tight..  Please do not use ether to start the engine..  Have you done any fuel system repairs?   Have you tried to re-prime the fuel lines by loosening them at the head and pumping the hand pump to relieve the air?  I'm just spewing now... :)   I want to help you as do many others here.  we need more info, try to keep it on point and accurate..  There are soooo many smart guys here, it would blow your mind..  jojo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Had truck towed to the Mack dealership to do further work to try and work this motor out and after lots of fiddling around they got it started but cannot tell me what the problem was which is not what l wanted to hear as it will make the truck unreliable,on top of that they are finding it is pushing out coolant from the coolant reservoir and started talking about head gaskets/ cracked heads etc, l suggested injector cups and they said yes we will do those first and see if they were the cause before going further. Whew.

sorry bud,  but they aint doing cups in an E-Tech CCRS....  Who ever said they will do them, should have told you... "we dont change the injector cup's"  The labor isnt worth it, and WE rarely ever see an injector cup fail in a 'Gray Motor'..   Please be sure they know how to fix your engine...  jojo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all who followed with advice on how to get this motor going again, it seems that it was the cam position sensor lead and  connector to the wiring loom that stopped the engine in the first place and spiked the ECU at the same time, after Mack getting getting it started using ether it ran fine meaning there must have been a lot of air in the injector pipes!! As for the pushing out of coolant Mack checked the thermostat and found it to be broken and replaced it and now after some hard hilly climbs loaded up it is not doing it and also is keeping in a better heat range easily. 

As Joey Mack  and Onyx610 suggested it cost a lot of time and thus money to sort this problem.

Thanks for all the help,

Mack Gazza. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

My Qantum has gone and done the same thing in my yard, I’ve done all the grounds I can find. So when yours done the sensor Gazza, did it ruin the ECM requiring a replacement?

BTW, for a little while now, mine had been bringing up code 8’s randomly, mainly 8-5 but all all them at different times.