300 Plus Engine

What is a 300 Plus engine? I am foggy between the ENDT676 and the E7. I hear this term all the time but don't really know what it is? Was it an E6? A Maxidyne? I know the ENDT676 was a Maxidyne with the tip turbine charge air cooler. Was the 300 plus a fueled up version of this engine or a 2V E6 with more than 300 horsepower? Why didn't they just call it by the amount of horsepower it had....presumably 310-325? Thanks for any answers

300 Plus was a 2 valve 315 HP engine . Wasn't Maxidyne, required multi speed transmissions (like a ten speed) as opposed to a 300 which was 285 HP and worked fantastic with some form of 5 speed. 

I have no idea why they called them what they did 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but I thought Econodyne came along with 4 valve engines.  Same theory, but after the 300+  So you could have got a 4 valve Maxidyne or Econodyne.

Back then, HP seemed to do more for maintaining road speed than torque it seemed, so the 300 Plus or later Econodynes did better in road tractors or stuff that was on the hiway more.

Again, I may be wrong .

10 hours ago, Makeri_Driver said:

Weren't the 300 Plus engines considered Econdynes? I remember see those badges on the hoods of 300 Plus R's with 10 speeds.

No, well not in Australia, they were Thermodyne and rated at 320 hp

We call them a 320 coolpower 

Apparently 2 valve or 4 valve although I only know of 2 valves

350 later on with series intercooling and they were the last if the coolpowers

285 Maxidyne was a coolpower, 300 Maxidyne was a series intercooled Maxidyne 

And these were all E6 motors 

Paul 

Prior to that I had a 350 Thermodyne that engine was a lot healthier pull the hills a lot better … Also thanks for that information on the 300 plus I never really knew anything about them either except they were pretty good engine performance wise… Bob 

• 1 month later...