Trans

Laser

same one and ONLY guy. he had an old (yes it was old back then too) white  without a defroster  . CT to NY  winter. He was also the same that loaded a cable shovel on the back of loadbed =lifted the tractor off the ground and away they went. no brakes on the trailer. He like many of the older generation unfortunately are gone. won't write the story of taking a ford straight truck (long chassis) and making a short wheel base dump with two P T O's. outside in the summer heat March-aug. that one will have you pis---ng your pants 😂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

same one and ONLY guy. he had an old (yes it was old back then too) white  without a defroster  . CT to NY  winter. He was also the same that loaded a cable shovel on the back of loadbed =lifted the tractor off the ground and away they went. no brakes on the trailer. He like many of the older generation unfortunately are gone. won't write the story of taking a ford straight truck (long chassis) and making a short wheel base dump with two P T O's. outside in the summer heat March-aug. that one will have you pis---ng your pants 😂

Lmfao!!! I’m dying…..

5 minutes ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

My Grandpa changed a transmission in a 1940 Ford Coupe in his garage without a Transmission jack and no creeper lol

you haven't had any fun till you try and change a clutch  in a DM600 having a quadbox outside using a 10x10 car jack on a piece of plywood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

yes he owned the ford chassis made into a dump too . 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

pulling a transmission (can't call it a trans anymore LOL) out of a DM800 , the yoke nut was soo tight I put a 1in breaker bar strapped to the frame on the nut started truck and put in gear slowly letting out the clutch. one h--l of a noise = did the trick. transmisson was one of the largest machine shop master ever saw. twin stick  6 speed with bell housing PTO . cement truck

Tried that trick with an allison in a hayes log truck once wrench when flyin under the bench! Can't feather an allison either in or out!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, fjh said:

Tried that trick with an allison in a hayes log truck once wrench when flyin under the bench! Can't feather an allison either in or out!

Not much torque control on that haha, as soon as you punched that D button that wrench was flyin!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

you haven't had any fun till you try and change a clutch  in a DM600 having a quadbox outside using a 10x10 car jack on a piece of plywood.

Oh I bet. Also had a buddy who while alil intoxicated got mad at a 5 speed he was trying to put in one of his Ford pickups. He slid it out from under the truck on the jack when it just decided to fall over. He then picked up said transmission and proceeded to throw it out the over head door of his shop.

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

The thing is...  If it does it on the low side and not on the high side. We need to look at other issues than air.  He is not using the gray button to split the gears, and 2nd - 3rd.  Is the same stick position, as 6th-5th. I would love to test drive it.  I hate to make a piss poor comment, but is it possibly operator error?  I'm on thin ice here...  Is this truck new to the driver? Did you come from an Eaton tranny to a Mack 2018?  Another thing too, have you checked the out put yoke on the tranny to see if it is loose?  With respect, Jojo   

anything I touch could be operator error. Just shifting from 2-3  3-4 .. will check yoke today at some point and appreciate all the responses. I will take video at some point. New to the site still trying to navigate. Again much appreciated.

Good luck Laser.. Keep in touch.  2nd -3rd, is the same gear position 6th-7th.  I would expect it to act up on both sides if there is an internal issue.  Also, crazy question...  Any chance you were driving an Eaton tranny and now your in a Mack?  Jojo

I hope you find this. It’s one of those things I wish I could see in person. I love a mystery!

Strange it’s only in lo range. And that it only grinds during shift. Said nothing about grinding during up or down range shifts. No grinding in high range. No grinding under acceleration or deceleration. 

A video would be awesome. As you can tell, there are enough guys on here with enough experience to fix most anything. Onyx, Mech, JoJo, FJH just to name a few. If these guys can’t fix it, it ain’t broke. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I'm like you DCW.. I wish I could be there. I would like to drive it..  of course I will be laughed at, when the owner sees me double clutch..  :) jojo

You make a mighty fine point there Joe taking full gears changes your pause time between gears ! My self( NOT A TRUCK DRIVER)  never have to wind up in the lower gears  and never split the lower gears just take full gears for the first get it rolling stage  Engine brake usually off simplifies the double clutch or wait time for me I usually just stick not clutch  !That said the trucks are usually MT or a tractor! a loaded truck  changes the program a bit as does using the engine brake! however.............! Vid would be good in this case ! It may be a case of driver training in that case don't look to me for advice! Me dumb like stick when it comes to truck driving!CLUELESS 🤣

• Haha 2

you are joking !!!  just picturing the moment .i have done my share of track ;under carriage replacement ;;;; NOT that way LOL . that liquid wrench was almost always near by . D-8 cutting edge at the gravel bank 90 degree Sunday torch no air wrench :  once again the 1in breaker bar. i see todays tracks are a "piece of cake ". one pad , four bolts the track separates. no more find the link pin rotate the track so pin near ground . had a 1 in pin welded to a long pipe. one held the pipe another swung the 20lb sledge. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

you are joking !!!  just picturing the moment .i have done my share of track ;under carriage replacement ;;;; NOT that way LOL . that liquid wrench was almost always near by . D-8 cutting edge at the gravel bank 90 degree Sunday torch no air wrench :  once again the 1in breaker bar. i see todays tracks are a "piece of cake ". one pad , four bolts the track separates. no more find the link pin rotate the track so pin near ground . had a 1 in pin welded to a long pipe. one held the pipe another swung the 20lb sledge. 

Been there, done that, too!  Always seemed to be the one swinging the hammer!

Yeah, those "new", bolt-together, oil-filled tracks are way better.  I remember on the old style, we had a running joke that you would walk the tractor a half-mile out of the way to run through a mud hole...just to stop them from squeaking for a few seconds.

Saw a lot of stupid stuff back then.  Saw a few people hurt, too.  But, for the most part, everybody walked away with all their body parts intact.  I tell the safety people here all the time, "I never worked more safely than when I knew what I was working on could get me killed."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

Think we've hijacked the poor guy's thread!  But, anyhow...

I never did a Quad like that.  But, I did change the clutch on a C60 Chevy on the side of the road by myself one night with no jack and very few tools..  Walked about a mile to an auto parts store to get the parts.  About 4:30-500 PM.  Wrapped chains around the box.  Looped the chains over a couple of pieces of pipe laid on top of the frame.  Put 2 ratchet binders on to tighten it up and adjust the height as it went out and in.  Used a pipe wrench to turn the pipes, rolling them along the frame.  Had a come-along tied to the rear to hold it back.  Lots of stuff in the way of those rolling pipes.  Seems like I had to tie it up once or twice to move the pipes around some obstacle.  Got just enough room to get it apart without hanging up on the input shaft.  Could NOT find anything the right size to pilot the disc...eyeballed it...through a mirror...with a flashlight.  Not ideal!

Going back in, of course, it wouldn't spline up.  Used the come-along to pull it forward, and pushed in the clutch, and bumped the starter.  In it went.  Got it buttoned up about 3:00-4:00 AM.  Went on home.

I would not attempt that now for love nor money.  But, I was young...and stupid.  Didn't have anywhere else to be right then anyway!  No cell phones.  Nobody to call for help if we had them.  Can't remember all the details now.  It's been over 40 years.  But, I came close to laying down under the truck and giving up more than a few times.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, Kind'a...   But.... What I learned here after 2 and a half years, is that we are a bunch of great guys that take this seriously, and help AS A TEAM...   And then we tell really cool stories, sparked by the topic at hand..  To me it's like sittin around a camp fire, havin some cold ones and bein BUD'S talkin about the trucks we LOVE/HATE...   Just my Opinion..  and I like it......  Jojo

• Like 2