Trans

Laser

2006 mack granite cv 713 427 18 speed trans.. when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th the truck grinds in-between the shifts have to pull truck over to a stop it’s so bad believe it’s coming from transmission.  any help would be appreciated.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:35 PM, Laser said:

2006 mack granite cv 713 427 18 speed trans.. when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th the truck grinds in-between the shifts have to pull truck over to a stop it’s so bad believe it’s coming from transmission.  any help would be appreciated.

So it sounds like the range clutch pack could be toast ! ARE YOU PRESELECTING THE RANGE SHIFT? MANDITORY Bro! I or are you are grinding on the split

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fjh said:

So it sounds like the range clutch pack could be toast ! ARE YOU PRESELECTING THE RANGE SHIFT? MANDITORY Bro! I or are you are grinding on the split

Grind happens when shifting floating from 2to3 and 3to4 not splitting and yes I am preselecting up or down in the gear before shifting if that’s correct 

Something wonky in the air system, causing the range shift or the splitter to try to shift unintentionally?  Pinched/cut air line?  Bad piston seal?  Bad valve?

JoJo and FJH can work miracles for you, if you can give them enough info to work from.

If it works right in hi range, that might be a clue.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

The thing is...  If it does it on the low side and not on the high side. We need to look at other issues than air.  He is not using the gray button to split the gears, and 2nd - 3rd.  Is the same stick position, as 6th-5th. I would love to test drive it.  I hate to make a piss poor comment, but is it possibly operator error?  I'm on thin ice here...  Is this truck new to the driver? Did you come from an Eaton tranny to a Mack 2018?  Another thing too, have you checked the out put yoke on the tranny to see if it is loose?  With respect, Jojo 

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor sperring

3 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I just wondered if there is something in the air system that could be causing it to try to go to hi-range when there is no load on the trans.

We found the range pack would fail on the low side more often than not! Also check the trans yoke bolt for tightness they some times work loose! also the double shifter boot caused issues of popping it out on the main box on some units! just something else to look at!

Just sayin!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fjh said:

We found the range pack would fail on the low side more often than not! Also check the trans yoke bolt for tightness they some times work loose! also the double shifter boot caused issues of popping it out on the main box on some units! just something else to look at!

Just sayin!

Christ, wish I could come across one that was that loose. All the ones I tried to take off were a nightmare. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fjh said:

Worth checking! Once flew from our town to a remote community on the main land prepared to do a range pack in the woods. Got there tighten the yoke bolt and flew back home. 8 hr service call to tighten a bolt. That’s why I mentioned it ! Could save an expensive situation!😅

Lmao, that’s awesome. You are right though. Check the easy/cheap stuff first. 

• Like 1

pulling a transmission (can't call it a trans anymore LOL) out of a DM800 , the yoke nut was soo tight I put a 1in breaker bar strapped to the frame on the nut started truck and put in gear slowly letting out the clutch. one h--l of a noise = did the trick. transmisson was one of the largest machine shop master ever saw. twin stick  6 speed with bell housing PTO . cement truck

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

pulling a transmission (can't call it a trans anymore LOL) out of a DM800 , the yoke nut was soo tight I put a 1in breaker bar strapped to the frame on the nut started truck and put in gear slowly letting out the clutch. one h--l of a noise = did the trick. transmisson was one of the largest machine shop master ever saw. twin stick  6 speed with bell housing PTO . cement truck

Lmfao, I always love your stories….

• Like 1

Like the one that some guy you knew used a cable excavator to lift his truck up in the air to grease the truck, because he didn’t like laying on the ground to grease. 🤣

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1
  • Like 1