Who can remote program?

Tate

I have a 99 RD688S with a 400 E7 that I’ve done some work on. Have gone to a 400 series turbo ( none waste gate) stage 2 nozzles, polished manifold and k&n air filter. Truck pulls good bit in a hard pull in 7th gear it hits the wall at 1850 rpm’s. She won’t spin over that. Put new EUP’s and lift pump on still the same. My Mack dealer which is 2.5 hours away can’t help me out because I’m looking for the 460xt program. My local mechanic has the laptop and cable to hook up for remote tuning but his guy doesn’t do anything that old. Can anyone here help me out?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

is there a torque limiting switch and/or a setting in the EECU?

Where abouts would I find the switch? I’d need to have a Mack computer to check the setting ? When empty it’ll spin up to 2150 easily and in 1st through 5th gear when loaded. It’ll go about to 2000 rpm’s in 6th but I never shift that high. Just notice it when in 7th gear. It’s a 8 double L trany

Edited by Tate

16 hours ago, Tate said:

I have a 99 RD688S with a 400 E7 that I’ve done some work on. Have gone to a 400 series turbo ( none waste gate) stage 2 nozzles, polished manifold and k&n air filter. Truck pulls good bit in a hard pull in 7th gear it hits the wall at 1850 rpm’s. She won’t spin over that. Put new EUP’s and lift pump on still the same. My Mack dealer which is 2.5 hours away can’t help me out because I’m looking for the 460xt program. My local mechanic has the laptop and cable to hook up for remote tuning but his guy doesn’t do anything that old. Can anyone here help me out?

I doubt Mack will not let you have the Xt program not enough cooling will be the excuse or a non Mack drive line will be another excuse!

• Like 1

yep, typically, you have to have a 13 or 18 spd. tranny, and 200 series carriers...  if it is a Mack drive line. The 400 is a great setup.  I drove a few of them in a construction environment, 22 years ago, and that RD tractor had an 18 speed tranny, and it would out pull the newer (at the time) 427's..  Maybe set the governor setting to all speed to improve throttle response...  jojo

Most all ETECH’s will only turn 1950 in the last/top gear. However 2100  or 2150 ( I can’t remember) in all the lower gears is normal. I think the ASET AI with AMI engine data files  ( AMI 370 for example) would go higher in the last gear. There might have been a few other specialty data files that would go higher as well. 

Edited by Mackpro
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 10:05 AM, fjh said:

I doubt Mack will not let you have the Xt program not enough cooling will be the excuse or a non Mack drive line will be another excuse!

The good thing about VMAC 3  ECM Programing ( ETECH, CCRS and ASET) is there are ways around asking corporate for permission for HP upgrades. With dealer access you can program as many ETECH engine ECM’s as you want with the XT file. Now finding a dealership that knows how to do it and that will do it is the problem. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mackpro said:

The good thing about VMAC 3  ECM Programing ( ETECH, CCRS and ASET) is there are ways around asking corporate for permission for HP upgrades. With dealer access you can program as many ETECH engine ECM’s as you want with the XT file. Now finding a dealership that knows how to do it and that will do it is the problem. 

Ahh good to know!

There are numerous paramaters in the program that can be turned on or off.  One of those is road speed, if the road speed is limited to 63mph, you are not going to pull full rpms out of the engine in top gear.

I went to the mack garage and they turned off the torque limiting when on the low side of the transmission, and the speed limit of 63mph.  The worst part of that 400 is the rpm range, it falls on its face at 1500rpm, but mine is a 2003 so maybe it is different.  But I found a cure for that also.

If I remember right, you can set the gov. to 'all speed'  and you can set pedal spd. and cruise spd. to about 75 mph..  as far as 400 RPM range.  I guess because i was driving an 18 spd..   I set the range...   I wish I was still driving today, in the trucks that are being fussed at..  I feel like I will learn something..  Back in my driving time, it was about getting the dirt to the job site.  anyway,,,  I know less and less everyday...  :)