Engine position sensor

Will

Hi

just wondering how many shims go on the engine position sensor near the crankshaft on the front of the engine? 

end do any shims go on the other one on the bell housing? 

engine is a ea7 470 etech!

any help would be great

cheers

Edited by Will

The engine speed sensor on the flywheel housing usually will have no shims. But the book says to measure and shim if needed . The engine position sensor on the front that reads the camshaft will always have 1 shim or 2.  They make .015 and .030” shims. Due to timing cover thickness difference and camshaft thrust washer wear it impossible to guess what shims are needed. I will try to locate the instructions and chart and post it here. 

• Like 1

yeah just take the shim off, put it in your pocket, and run the truck again..  yes there are 2 availble  shims.  yours is probably .030"  ..  see what happens..   jojo

If you are throwing the 3-4 code . I will attach the bulletin on troubleshooting that code. However the service bulletin you need on shimming the sensor is SB-273-004 and I can’t seem to find it . I found that on high milage trucks , the camshaft thrust washer would be so worn that the cam would float back and forth and come to close to the sensor causing the 3-4 code. I would add an extra .015 shim and test drive and see what happens. Also replacing the vibration damper with a larger one helps on some early ETECH. Early ETECHs under 400 HP had the smaller damper/balancer. I know all Aset engines had the larger damper. https://f01.justanswer.com/HeavyEquipmentTech/7977f3ec-83db-47e4-9d6a-f6babf391cd7_Mack_Engine_pos_sensor_bulletin45-sb221037.pdf

there is a spec for cam shaft run out..  but tell me why every time I pull a cam, the thrust washer shows almost no wear..   am I wrong? as far as a different timing cover,, i truly dont know, other than the ASET-C I just built.. which had another 2, 10mm bolt hole topside.  So tell me where the 'runout' would occur?  I would like to know if I am missing something, before I build another  E-Tech/ASET..  jojo

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

there is a spec for cam shaft run out..  but tell me why every time I pull a cam, the thrust washer shows almost no wear..   am I wrong? as far as a different timing cover,, i truly dont know, other than the ASET-C I just built.. which had another 2, 10mm bolt hole topside.  So tell me where the 'runout' would occur?  I would like to know if I am missing something, before I build another  E-Tech/ASET..  jojo

Your right on rarely seeing any wear on the cam thrust washer . Back in the ETECH days I had a couple of trucks that I was chasing the 3-4 code on . I kept getting different readings on measuring the timing cover to cam gear depth. I’d measure, then use the correct shims on the sensor and test drive and get a random 3-4 code active again. I’d come back and re-measure and get a different depth measurement.  One of the old guys back then associated it with “Cam floating “ as he called it. Adding the .015” shim seemed to work. I was personally doing 3 cams jobs a week back then   and now wondering if pressing the cam gear off with a 20 ton press could have slightly tweaked/bent the camshaft gear. This could explain different depth measurements depending on where the engine stopped spinning when turning it off. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

This is a pic of the new and improved timing gear cover . If you zoom in you can see the gussets casted in around the hole for the engine position sensor. https://www.finditparts.com/products/8549180/mack-25102069?srcid=CHL01SCL010-Npla-Dmdt-Gusa-Svbr-Mmuu-K8549180-L187&srcid=CHL01SCL010&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuaiXBhCCARIsAKZLt3ma4VK_xs26tnv330HtNuUevV9EkCOYowYOx-Ywtwe2M_W-TW2TCQ8aAh1jEALw_wcB

14 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

We were taught that you'll get run out from not having your clutch set up. If you're out of free pedal it's putting pressure on your crank thrust bearings. 

I have recently heard on the Volvo side that a few crankshafts have burned out the thrust bearings due to a clutch actuator issue on the I-shift transmissions. Even though the MP/M-drive on the Mack side is exactly the same parts it has seemed to only have shown up on the Volvo side. 

8 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

We were taught that you'll get run out from not having your clutch set up. If you're out of free pedal it's putting pressure on your crank thrust bearings. 

We replaced Etech due the above situation last year forward thrust was right wasted ! They left it with out free pedal tooooo long!

Mackpro,  Interesting take on pressing the cam gear..  I just finished 2 in-frames last month..  so far no codes, but I also take car in pressing the gear off, and baking it right, before dropping it on..  I too remember doing cam after cam job back in the early 2000's.. crazy sh!t..  jojo

6 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Mackpro,  Interesting take on pressing the cam gear..  I just finished 2 in-frames last month..  so far no codes, but I also take car in pressing the gear off, and baking it right, before dropping it on..  I too remember doing cam after cam job back in the early 2000's.. crazy sh!t..  jojo

I was a whole lot younger back in them days . I probably couldn’t do 2 cam jobs a week now , LOL.  We used a toaster  oven to carefully heat the gear and put it on . But removing the gear was another story . Getting it into the press was a challenge. Finally found that cutting the camshaft in two about a foot from the gear made it easier to get into the press with out damaging the gear. Otherwise we were wrestling into the press and usually dropping it or banging into anything with in a 3 foot radius. Glad those days are over for me . 

• Like 1

funny you say that,  I recently have been cutting the cam in 2..  at #2 cyl. lobes... my thought was to remove about 60 pounds, and the distance from the gear was far enough, were the heat of cutting, didnt reach the gear hub..  It worked great and much easier to load into the press..  :) . jojo

• Like 1