T2050 specs

tl1975

Same concept but different ratios (and rear end ratios). Both were intended to be paired with a Maxidyne engine. The TRL107 is direct (1:1) in 5th whereas the T2050 has the very fast overdrive (0.6:1) in 5th. All T20X0 transmissions with 5,6,7, or 8 speeds had the 0.6:1 overdrive, were direct in 4th, and were paired with very slow rears usually (5.73 to 6:39 or higher numerically). Trucks with a TRL107 usually had 4.00 - 5.00 rear end ratios. A T2050 will have 5.24:1 in first gear, 1:1 in fourth, and 0.6:1 in 5th. Don't know what 2nd and 3rd would be. 

Edited by 67RModel
  • Like 1

The 2nd and 3rd gears have the same ratios as in T2070. And also in T2060 and T2080. By the word I recently discovered that T2070 with short compound housing existed.

tra0351_1-vi.jpg

tra0351_2-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

Same concept but different ratios (and rear end ratios). Both were intended to be paired with a Maxidyne engine. The TRL107 is direct (1:1) in 5th whereas the T2050 has the very fast overdrive (0.6:1) in 5th. All T20X0 transmissions with 5,6,7, or 8 speeds had the 0.6:1 overdrive, were direct in 4th, and were paired with very slow rears usually (5.73 to 6:39 or higher numerically). Trucks with a TRL107 usually had 4.00 - 5.00 rear end ratios. A T2050 will have 5.24:1 in first gear, 1:1 in fourth, and 0.6:1 in 5th. Don't know what 2nd and 3rd would be. 

Thanks for the information. Out of curiosity, on a truck with an EM-6 or ENDT-675, could a TRL107 be swapped out with a T2050 without any major modifications (ie mounts, bell housing bolts etc)? 

46 minutes ago, tl1975 said:

Thanks for the information. Out of curiosity, on a truck with an EM-6 or ENDT-675, could a TRL107 be swapped out with a T2050 without any major modifications (ie mounts, bell housing bolts etc)? 

I don't know about fitment, bolt up, and linkage modification etc but I would think @Vladislavwould know the most on this. I think he has done several transmission swaps over the years. What rears do you have and what do you do with the truck?

• Like 1

Funny thing but if we talk about Mack truck transmissions I have done only ONE swap to the moment. Took off T2090 and put T2070 in its place in a R-model. But I collected a bunch of different transmissions during the years and investigated many aspects of the matter.

Of what I can tell answering the question above both TRL107 and T2050 would fit the flywheel housing of a E6 or EM6. Probably both have 2" thick input shaft with the same number of splines (10?). But T2070 (2070,2090 etc) seem usually combined with 15.5 inch clutch and T100 series units were fit to 14" setup. I don't know if is it possible to install T200 series unit using 14" clutch or not. But I can tell swapping the clutch would require swapping the flywheel since they were of different styles.

The tranny mounts seemed not interchengeable since T200 used cast mounts and T100 were welded of thick steel. But chassis brackets look the same. So if you're going to put T2050 (2070 etc) into a R-model you just need a pair of tranny mounts for T200 used in a R-model with Mack in-line 6 cyl engine. Which seem as a pretty common part. Aside of that the prop shaft would need its length corrected (cut and balanced) and possibly another shifter lever found. If you're going to use T2050 which was taken off a R the lever would fit fine. But if the tranny goes off say a DM it would be found between your legs when put in a R-model cab.

Another story is the very reason to use T2050. It has quite fast OD which would be good in a work truck combined with relatively slow rears. Something like 5.73. And also depending on the tyre size and sure the kind of job you're going to use it for. One more point to doubt over is T2050 is only 5 speed. And if you use T2070 or T2080 it would be almost the same amount of job and mods to install (and the same fast 0.60 OD) but a few additional crawl speeds which may be of use in many situations.

Vlad

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vladislav said:

Funny thing but if we talk about Mack truck transmissions I have done only ONE swap to the moment. Took off T2090 and put T2070 in its place in a R-model. But I collected a bunch of different transmissions during the years and investigated many aspects of the matter.

Of what I can tell answering the question above both TRL107 and T2050 would fit the flywheel housing of a E6 or EM6. Probably both have 2" thick input shaft with the same number of splines (10?). But T2070 (2070,2090 etc) seem usually combined with 15.5 inch clutch and T100 series units were fit to 14" setup. I don't know if is it possible to install T200 series unit using 14" clutch or not. But I can tell swapping the clutch would require swapping the flywheel since they were of different styles.

The tranny mounts seemed not interchengeable since T200 used cast mounts and T100 were welded of thick steel. But chassis brackets look the same. So if you're going to put T2050 (2070 etc) into a R-model you just need a pair of tranny mounts for T200 used in a R-model with Mack in-line 6 cyl engine. Which seem as a pretty common part. Aside of that the prop shaft would need its length corrected (cut and balanced) and possibly another shifter lever found. If you're going to use T2050 which was taken off a R the lever would fit fine. But if the tranny goes off say a DM it would be found between your legs when put in a R-model cab.

Another story is the very reason to use T2050. It has quite fast OD which would be good in a work truck combined with relatively slow rears. Something like 5.73. And also depending on the tyre size and sure the kind of job you're going to use it for. One more point to doubt over is T2050 is only 5 speed. And if you use T2070 or T2080 it would be almost the same amount of job and mods to install (and the same fast 0.60 OD) but a few additional crawl speeds which may be of use in many situations.

Vlad

Very impressive, thank you for the information. I cannot remember what ratio the rear ends are, so I will have to check on that. The truck is a 1988 RD690S and has been parked in a building for years. The engine and the transmission were removed many years ago. Using the VIN, I was at least able to find out that the engine and transmission should be an EM6-250L four valve with a T2050 five speed. I know a fellow who has a TRL 107 five speed on hand, and he has an EM6-237 two valve and an endt-675 too. All out of R models. I am just not sure if anything different would work or what my combination options are (if any). Looks like maybe the front engine mount might be an issue too. The truck would just be used for local running. 

I forgot to post that I just recently replaced a dog dish flywheel on an E-6 4 valve in an '87 Superliner, with an E-7 style flywheel, and put an eaton easy pedal 15" ,7padle, 9 spring, clutch in it..  .. I'm sorry that I forgot this til now.... Jojo

Hell put a X-107  twin stick in it.... it will be great, and you can shift gears in reverse...  jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling

On 6/16/2022 at 12:06 AM, Joey Mack said:

Vlad....  I wish I knew half what you know... You are amazing!!!  This web site is lucky to have you sir...  Jojo

Joey, you estimate me higher than the worth I really have as it seems to me :). I only have a few hundered square meters of old Mack iron laying around and a shelf of books which are less in number than your collection's score.

Thank you for the kind words.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:42 AM, tl1975 said:

Very impressive, thank you for the information. I cannot remember what ratio the rear ends are, so I will have to check on that. The truck is a 1988 RD690S and has been parked in a building for years. The engine and the transmission were removed many years ago. Using the VIN, I was at least able to find out that the engine and transmission should be an EM6-250L four valve with a T2050 five speed. I know a fellow who has a TRL 107 five speed on hand, and he has an EM6-237 two valve and an endt-675 too. All out of R models. I am just not sure if anything different would work or what my combination options are (if any). Looks like maybe the front engine mount might be an issue too. The truck would just be used for local running. 

Yes, the 1st thing you should do is investigate the matters you have. The truck's foreseen purpose, tyre size, diffs ratio... The time you're going to spend on its fix and amount of $$$ reasonable to invest.

Physically it's possible to install any of Mack straight six engine in a R-model with the most kinds of Mack transmissions produced during the same time frame. There are a few mods of attachments but they all seem commonly used and able to be located if you are free enough on time to go visiting a few scrap yards looking for what you need. At the same time cost of labour is sufficient and its amount would be as larger as further you go from the original specifications of the truck. There's one more point to keep in mind though on how good for your jobs those original specs would be.

The way I would go in your case is looking for an engine close to what was in the truck from the factory but of higher HP maybe such as 4V EM6-300 or EM7-300 and T2070 or T2080 tranny since these would give you more performance requiring very similar amount of job to install. Or there may be even another way fitting E6-350 Econodyne with T2090 or T2100 tranny if on-highway job is foreseen and rear end ratio is fast enough for.

One thing for sure is as more info you accuire as less money and time will be spent.  And the dependance curve is not straight :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...