1975 Mack R685st Gold Dog

ColoradoDriver

Welcome to BMT!

Nice looking old R-model. And looks like the truck has plenty of potential. Wish you good luck on bringing it into working order. Also would be cool if you not limit your activities with just making it road worthy but also find resources to improve the look. This way you may please lovers of old Macks and also jobs you're going to do will be done with pride.

Dash panels you're looking for is relatively easy assembling stuff. If I were you I'd start looking for a set of parts over junk yards. Preferraby still installed on a truck. Of what I saw on the pics you posted in another thread you would need a steel channel which goes from the left door sill to the right one. There's a piece of angle steel or so installed there at the moment since some previouse owner needed something to put parking brake knobs into. But factory dash wouldn't fit on it. Also there used to be a heater box which installs right below the dash. R-model was made the way the heater is a separate part so you can assemble all the dash without and put it later on.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

6 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Welcome to BMT!

Nice looking old R-model. And looks like the truck has plenty of potential. Wish you good luck on bringing it into working order. Also would be cool if you not limit your activities with just making it road worthy but also find resources to improve the look. This way you may please lovers of old Macks and also jobs you're going to do will be done with pride.

Dash panels you're looking for is relatively easy assembling stuff. If I were you I'd start looking for a set of parts over junk yards. Preferraby still installed on a truck. Of what I saw on the pics you posted in another thread you would need a steel channel which goes from the left door sill to the right one. There's a piece of angle steel or so installed there at the moment since some previouse owner needed something to put parking brake knobs into. But factory dash wouldn't fit on it. Also there used to be a heater box which installs right below the dash. R-model was made the way the heater is a separate part so you can assemble all the dash without and put it later on.

Vlad

Thank you, I will definitely make her something to be proud of. I'm waiting for a response from the Mack history museum to see if maybe they have the original colors and specs. If not I want to emphasize the gold, I'm thinking either white and gold or black and gold. She will definitely be show worthy. I will be posting a thread in another topic of my progress. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, ColoradoDriver said:

I'm waiting for a response from the Mack history museum to see if maybe they have the original colors and specs.

Have you submitted the request through the website? That's the only way archive requests are fulfilled; in order to maintain fairness. Requests are fulfilled in the order in which received and usually run 4-6 weeks to process. 

Good looking truck by the way, not a lot of rot. Should be a fairly easy restoration. How are the mechanicals? 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

On 5/3/2022 at 7:45 AM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Have you submitted the request through the website? That's the only way archive requests are fulfilled; in order to maintain fairness. Requests are fulfilled in the order in which received and usually run 4-6 weeks to process. 

Good looking truck by the way, not a lot of rot. Should be a fairly easy restoration. How are the mechanicals? 

I did submit a request, its been a few weeks now. I'm patiently waiting. Yeah the truck has very little rust, nothing I can't take care of myself, mechanically the truck is sound, only two things I can find that need work are one of hub caps is cracked, its a female screw on type. I haven't been able to find one yet. And while warming up I get an idle surge, im sure it's either the governor weights or throttle springs. Seems to go away at operating temp, maybe old fuel too. Anyway its a solid truck, a little elbow grease and patients and it'll be back to doing what it's ment to.

• 2 months later...