Oil bath air cleaner modification

Been contemplating this change on my truck for years.  Haven't wanted to cut the original yet, been hoping to find a used SS model that might fit well.  I know Watts used to offer a dry filter set up but is a bit pricey these days.

I know oil bath is supposed to be better but I know my 237 sure does pull a lot of oil through the intake pipe.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

16 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

I’m running gear oil in my oil bath filtered 237. That’s what was recommended when I swapped in the 237. Haven’t had any issues with it sucking oil with the heavier weight oil.

Hmmm, maybe I will switch over from 15w40.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 4/15/2022 at 10:35 AM, Freightrain said:

Been contemplating this change on my truck for years.  Haven't wanted to cut the original yet, been hoping to find a used SS model that might fit well.  I know Watts used to offer a dry filter set up but is a bit pricey these days.

I know oil bath is supposed to be better but I know my 237 sure does pull a lot of oil through the intake pipe.

Seeing how I plan on keeping it all stock then I might just leave it the way it is.  Keeps with the authenticity.

The R611 I drove when I was a young-un had the oil bath air cleaner converted to a dry filter element with a kit that was supposedly available from Mack.  I tried to find a kit to do that to the one I had later, but it was apparently no longer available.  Considered getting a Donaldson aftermarket body to put on it. 

Never thought about the gear oil thing.  Sounds promising, though.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I looked around and I could replace the air cleaner but I think I’m just going to keep the setup I have.  I want it to look as original as possible so I think I’m just gonna keep it.  I was hoping for a trick to modify the current housing but I don’t want to alter anything to much.