Vmac1 to Vmac2 conversion

I have been fighting an issue with my 1995 CL 713, E7 427 currently Vmac1.

A few years ago had the FIC module go bad and the truck would shut off intermittently with no warning and throw codes 6-2 and 6-3 (it was like that from the day I bought it). I putba new FIC module in it and immediately solved the issue, now it's doing the same thing and all signs lead to my FIC module has the same issue, it ran fine for 3 years, about 1000hrs(part time truck). The mack dealer is looking into converting from Vmac1 to Vmac2, has anyone here done it? Is it "easy"? I don't want to keep throwing FIC modules at this thing.... Thank you for any input.

IMG_20210413_193423_856.jpg

Edited by Mack log truck

10 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Sorry for the late reply but last time I looked up the parts ( about8 months ago)  most of the parts were not available. I had friends buying junkyard ECM’s to keep their VMAC 1 farm trucks running. 

Also the wire harness is totally different better off with a  donnor truck for a project like this also  I don't see the advantage of changing to Vmac 2 the vmac1 is a good setup the  modules can go bad on Vmac 2 as well . Seen it happen !

• Like 2

Forgive my ignorance but couldn't you go the other direction with this retrofit and just go to fully mechanical? The mechanical linkage is already there from the pedal to the pump. Could you just swap on a injection pump off a fully mechanical E7 or have the electronics removed from the existing pump? Is there more involved that I am missing? I think that would be the most robust fix if its economically feasible. Is there anything else major involved in "going the other direction"?

16 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Forgive my ignorance but couldn't you go the other direction with this retrofit and just go to fully mechanical? The mechanical linkage is already there from the pedal to the pump. Could you just swap on a injection pump off a fully mechanical E7 or have the electronics removed from the existing pump? Is there more involved that I am missing? I think that would be the most robust fix if its economically feasible. Is there anything else major involved in "going the other direction"?

Yes you can do that.