Check king pins Mac without a jack

Cassandra

Question

12 answers to this question

Are you sure It's the Kingpins & Not the wheel bearings..???

My Advice is for You to Buy or borrow a jack & check them Out..!!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

A clunking/ vibration in front end !!! i don't think " how long can i drive it " would be a proper question. more like i need a jack NOW , who's got one. i  would  be buying a jack before buying lunch.  might go with a vibration ; possible out of balance tire. clucking no way

Little bottle jacks from Tractor Supply or Northern Tool don't cost much (Torin "Big Red").  6 ton is about $35.  10 ton about $50.  I have several of them in various sizes.  Work fine.  Cheap enough to throw away when they quit.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

if the jack purchase is based on $$$  highly recommend a good jack stand to go with it. hate to see someone buy a cheaper jack figuring " if it picked up the front end i can jack up the back and pull tires" etc. be under it doing brakes or what ever and have the jack give way. seems with old age the first thing i consider lately when doing a project is :: how am i going to get hurt. same as buying tools in the past, some projects will do well with a cheaper brand . then there are the jobs  that require a better quality (snap-on or so) tool 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

if the jack purchase is based on $$$  highly recommend a good jack stand to go with it. hate to see someone buy a cheaper jack figuring " if it picked up the front end i can jack up the back and pull tires" etc. be under it doing brakes or what ever and have the jack give way. seems with old age the first thing i consider lately when doing a project is :: how am i going to get hurt. same as buying tools in the past, some projects will do well with a cheaper brand . then there are the jobs  that require a better quality (snap-on or so) tool 

I would recommend good jack stands even with high-dollar jacks!  But, that's just me!

9 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I would recommend good jack stands even with high-dollar jacks!  But, that's just me!

definitely ;; every job has the ==what if factor == for me. swapped out complete tandem suspension on a 53ft  trailer last week. outside , soft ground , NO jacks. lowered the landing gear brought nose to ground. blocked up the ICC bar with 2ft dia x 2ft tall logs  ,4x4 on the ground under the logs. cranked landing gear back up highest point .raising the entire trailer.  pulled suspension out (short version) install newer suspension, point is the "what if factor" was there every minute. unit was blocked more then it had to be . job would have been alot better in the shop on concrete floor with air jacks ; wasn't possible. having a number of jacks for different projects AND common sense  makes all the difference in the "what if factor" and safety. 

35 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

definitely ;; every job has the ==what if factor == for me. swapped out complete tandem suspension on a 53ft  trailer last week. outside , soft ground , NO jacks. lowered the landing gear brought nose to ground. blocked up the ICC bar with 2ft dia x 2ft tall logs  ,4x4 on the ground under the logs. cranked landing gear back up highest point .raising the entire trailer.  pulled suspension out (short version) install newer suspension, point is the "what if factor" was there every minute. unit was blocked more then it had to be . job would have been alot better in the shop on concrete floor with air jacks ; wasn't possible. having a number of jacks for different projects AND common sense  makes all the difference in the "what if factor" and safety. 

Common sense?  What's that?!  LOL!

Common sense is so rare these days it should be considered a super power.  "Hello!  I'm Sensible Man!"

What you did with the trailer is very similar to one of our methods for raising and lowering machine tools..."rocking" or "levering" them up.

I used to do stupid things under vehicles.  Not any more.  Now I want jack stands, cross-ties, timbers, or whatever I can find.  That "what if" factor is super important to consider.  You never work more safely than when you know that what you are doing can kill you.  Kudos on your ingenuity and caution on that job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Are you sure It's the Kingpins & Not the wheel bearings..???

My Advice is for You to Buy or borrow a jack & check them Out..!!

Been my observation the Volvo front axle is one thing they got right quite trouble free! Definately check them!!!!  how ever more common failure is draglink ends and tie rod ends!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

This post probably has different meaning to those of us over 50.  Funny how careless we tend to be when we were younger.🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark T said:

This post probably has different meaning to those of us over 50.  Funny how careless we tend to be when we were younger.🤔

if only the younger generation could understand. we weren't careless just ambitious ,  sounds better. i tell my 23 yr  old grandson all the time practice safety  .  hope over 50 have meaning to it. for me over70 and doing the wrenches FOR 50 yrs  i'm reminded every morning trying to get out of bed of my yrs gone by "ambitions"

• Like 1