B-61 Battery Cable Routing

This summer I'm hoping to change the location of my battery box if I can ever find a 2nd fuel tank. Im looking for some detail on how the battery cables should be routed when they come out of the battery box. Im thinking they go under the frame rail and mount to the inside.

Oh, and if anyone has a 70 gal? driver side square steel tank that matches or is similar to the one in the picture let me know. I think it may be similar to an R tank but not sure.

Thanks!

20220210_113705.jpg

Are you running a 12 volt starter? When I converted my B42, I added two R model battery boxes. I probably only needed one with two six volt batteries in series. Anyway, I ran the cables under the boxes and up the left frame rail on the left box. Out of the right box, underneath the box, up the right rail to the cross member under the cab back, then over to the left rail to join the others. So I have four cables to the starter, 2 pos and 2 neg, attached to the studs on it. I used 2/0 AWG welding cable as it easy to form the bends needed.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses. The tank that I have on there now is a 40 and it's 27" long. I won't be doing dual stacks and the battery box will stay on the P/S. Yes, I'm running a 12v starter with 2, 12v batteries in parallel.

Something happened to this truck in its lifetime, on the driver side. I figured this awhile ago, but looking today, the fuel tank brackets are different from right side and left. There's also a spot below the driver door that's bent under. You can kinda see it in the pic. I'm guessing they took the P/S tank and moved it to the driver, and put the battery box in its place. Looks goofy and I'm changing it back........hopefully. If I find a tank.

11 hours ago, Frank Y said:

This summer I'm hoping to change the location of my battery box if I can ever find a 2nd fuel tank. Im looking for some detail on how the battery cables should be routed when they come out of the battery box. Im thinking they go under the frame rail and mount to the inside.

Oh, and if anyone has a 70 gal? driver side square steel tank that matches or is similar to the one in the picture let me know. I think it may be similar to an R tank but not sure.

Thanks!

20220210_113705.jpg

I've got 2 square tanks from a 1976 U model you're welcome to. I'm just down 309 in Chalfont PA.

You'll only need one battery box with it being 12v.  It will start easily with just two batteries in parallel.  Keep the box on the passenger side and run the cables up under the frame and up to the starter.  Go with big cables!  I think mine were 4/0?  (Mine has air start now so I removed all the big cables).  

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

You'll only need one battery box with it being 12v.  It will start easily with just two batteries in parallel.  Keep the box on the passenger side and run the cables up under the frame and up to the starter.  Go with big cables!  I think mine were 4/0?  (Mine has air start now so I removed all the big cables).  

Yeah, it does start really good the way it is. Probably helps that the negative goes right to the starter ground. I have welding cable to make longer battery cables. And it sounds like tanks are lined up too.

12 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

A '59 B61 was it converted to negative ground. you stated the neg goes to starter ground. positive ground was common then

Yeah, pretty sure it was converted when the S/P switch was removed. Like I said, there was a lot of things changed on the truck, the spike was disconnected when I got it and was just blowing air the maxis weren't hooked up correctly, etc. I've had it on the road about a year and have been changing mostly cosmetic things now.

• Like 1