Compression test with Tech Tool

Dan107

the dam timing tool bolts somewhere  on the back with the rear cover piece removed unfortunately you can be one tooth out one way or the other with the dam thing at our shop we had to fight this a have dozen times! you have to check it with the computer after you have the engine running to confirm if it is synced! and ITS SO EASY TO SEE back there! 😡

Edited by fjh

youre talking about the 'A' hole and the 'B' hole tool..  yep, got to have the lower timing cover off to do it. then you need 2 bars made by Volvo to press the cover back down in order to bolt it back in place properly...   terrible... jojo

I know one thing... He will need a half a  reem of paper and extra toner to print the book on just this portion of the repair..  I know...  I did it.  In total, I believe I have about 400 pages (single sided) on just the MP-8..  In my library I have books that thick, but they cover MANY versions of the engine. anyway, it's great that you have access to this info.. jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Honestly it’s a little tuff to navigate at first, but I could give you my login/password…

Its a dogs breakfast!😡 but any help would be better than us trying to explain it! and its a crap shoot even when you have all the info ! you got to have the dog house out and a keen eye! to work in that area! shit show!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, fjh said:

Different engine, same concept. 

Good find buddy !

It was a dig…there isn’t much on these engines, and what there is it’s either garbage or not what your looking for…I hope this helps. 

15 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

inspection hole at 6 o'clock....  

Are you talking about the large inspection hole or the small bung hole, and is it a dimple mark on a tooth, or a hole in the flywheel I’m looking for?  I should have marked this stuff before and this is a prime example of what happens when a person gets in too big of a rush!

70738007-6827-4378-B555-31CF7B59577B.jpeg

C8A67C22-4615-4A7B-A946-7419652A269E.jpeg

the little broken hole... my guess is someone tried to bar the engine over with a small pry bar or big screwdriver..  You will see a zero on the flywheel edge. that sets the engine to TDC on #1.. then when you place the cam, you set the cam to TDC.. theres more to do but that is the basics of it..  I expect MackPro and 'V' to join in on this and fill in my blanks... jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling
  • Like 1

That there is where you need to start in my opinion .good starting point Joe! the hole in the top may have also been a failed clutch brake at some point as well! seen this happen many times! one of the few things I have done on the red engines I have been in ivolved in physically and not a silent observer!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dan107 said:

Are you talking about the large inspection hole or the small bung hole, and is it a dimple mark on a tooth, or a hole in the flywheel I’m looking for?  I should have marked this stuff before and this is a prime example of what happens when a person gets in too big of a rush!

70738007-6827-4378-B555-31CF7B59577B.jpeg

C8A67C22-4615-4A7B-A946-7419652A269E.jpeg

There’s nothing to mark, it’s all done for you. You just need to follow the procedure. Watch the video if you don’t have it. I also sent you the procedure for replacing all the gears and no where in there does it say anything about marking them or timing the idler gear. If the crank is at tdc, your cam is at tdc, and your cam gear is lined up with the the mark on the head your engine is timed. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

There’s nothing to mark, it’s all done for you. You just need to follow the procedure. Watch the video if you don’t have it. I also sent you the procedure for replacing all the gears and no where in there does it say anything about marking them or timing the idler gear. If the crank is at tdc, your cam is at tdc, and your cam gear is lined up with the the mark on the block your engine is timed.

This is where that keen eye comes in! It is very easy to be off one tooth one way or the other from my observation ! Our guys struggled with this more than once just sayin!

Use that keen eye bud !

• Like 2