Compression test with Tech Tool

Dan107

1 minute ago, fjh said:

This is where that keen eye comes in! It is very easy to be off one tooth one way or the other from my observation ! Our guys struggled with this more than once just sayin!

Use that keen eye bud !

Right! Also when your ready to start it leave the valve cover off. You might be going back to move it tooth. I believe the computer will let you know if your good or not. 

• Like 1

SHE'S ALIVE!!!! Primed her up and she fired right off, and guess what??? No codes!  Other than the turbo actuator isn't working on the brand new turbo I bought a couple of months ago:angry:.  But I just went for it, and put everything back on and tried to start it.  Fired up immediately.  I have since started it a few times to let if run long enough to throw a code, if it's going to.  So far, no codes other than the turbo.  On that note, will the computer derate the engine if the actuator isn't functioning correctly?  I have it unplugged now because it seems that it's jammed inside the turbo.  Also, if I pin it with the alignment notch, will it still make boost?  I know I'm rambling, but I'm really happy with the engine...Thank ya'll!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Onyx610 said:

I wonder if there is a warranty on that turbo? It won’t derate the truck, it would just be stuck in that one position and throw a code. 

Yes, there was a warranty, but the dealership wanted me to spend another $5K and then wait to see if it would be warrantied.  

• Haha 1

Timing it go smoothly for you?

I followed the advice here; set #1 TDC, set the cam, then "with a keen eye" set the cam gear.  I used a drill bit in the alignment hole.  I know it's redneck, but I was desperate.  

• Like 1

Just now, Onyx610 said:

Since it’s deleted, throw a fixed turbo on there haha.  

Is that possible?  IF the engine won't derate, and just posts a code I would consider that.  I'm just not sure what turbo, and how it would attach.  

1 minute ago, Dan107 said:

Is that possible?  IF the engine won't derate, and just posts a code I would consider that.  I'm just not sure what turbo, and how it would attach.  

I believe it is possible but I really can’t say much more then that on it. There used to be a guy on here named staxx that would have the answer for you. He had a mp8 race truck…

Did you ever calibrate/factory relearn the new turbo?

Not yet.  I need to run it, from what I've read, for about a 100 miles or so before it's safe to idle it for any length of time.  Something about setting the rings?

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

remove the turbo VGT actuator, leave it plugged in and cycle the key to see if the actuator does a self test.. if it does, then rotate the little 1/4 gear to right (I beleive) and reinstall the VGT actuator..  there is actually a little plastic gauge to set the VGT position... do you have that tool?  you wont be able to move the actuator by hand, so dont try..   when it is put back together, you can use PTT to do a VGT calibration.  hope to see more info on this, to get you were you need to be..  that said.....  👍   Awesome!!!!!  You took on, one heck of a job.. Jojo

I did that, the little round gear seems to be working fine.  The one on the turbo is locked down for some reason.  This is what happened originally and necessitated me purchasing this one.  But I will try it again to make sure.    

hmmm,  I wonder why its stuck..  I cant comment anymore because I am not there to see it. and its been a while since I messed with one..  sorry bud.... jojo

For some reason I can not find the tool on the web...  Its a plastic gauge with teeth on it and you use it to set the VGT cam into position before you install the actuator, then you are ready to do a calibration..  Why can't i find it???  jojo

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

For some reason I can not find the tool on the web...  Its a plastic gauge with teeth on it and you use it to set the VGT cam into position before you install the actuator, then you are ready to do a calibration..  Why can't i find it???  jojo

I looked too