Steering Wheel--Which Truck?

h67st

I've got a steering wheel that came with a bunch of parts, some of which were for '50s GMC trucks. This wheel says "Sheller" and "65 435" on it, 20" diameter, splines look like they're around 11/16" or so. Anybody got a clue what it would fit?

188.JPG

193.JPG

A quick Google search indicated that Sheller made a lot of steering wheels for the Military, Willy's, Dodge, and GM in the 40's and 50's.  My guess, using the "SWAG" method, is that it fits Chevy or GMC pickups or larger trucks from the early 50's.  You might check with an older GM dealership or some of the reproduction people to see if they can give an exact fit based on the part number. It appears to be in good shape for its age. 

• Like 1

This steering wheel is very similar to the ones in my Brockways.  The 50's vintage 100 series Brockways used a 20" Sheller wheel with a 7/8" splined shaft.  I always thought it was odd that they put the (2) 5/16 threaded holes in offset from the center.  You can't use a traditional steering wheel puller to remove the wheel. 

steering_wheel.jpeg

• Like 1

Long gone now but for years Sheller-Globe manufactured steering wheels in Grabill, IN just outside of Fort Wayne. I thought they were a supplier to IHC until they moved operations out of Ft Wayne to Springfield, OH in 1983.

you know years ago i hadda 51 chevy pickup and i took a steering wheel out of a 52 pontiac because i did like the the one the truck came with,,,cool dashboard but ugly wheel it fit right on....so we know thier is alotta interchangable available....sick thing is we know there is got to be alot of brand new steering wheels out there,sitting in boxes in old wharehouses somewhere with all that hard work you have done,,,must be driving you crazy to hit a brick wall here...bob

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:43 AM, mowerman said:

you know years ago i hadda 51 chevy pickup and i took a steering wheel out of a 52 pontiac because i did like the the one the truck came with,,,cool dashboard but ugly wheel it fit right on....so we know thier is alotta interchangable available....sick thing is we know there is got to be alot of brand new steering wheels out there,sitting in boxes in old wharehouses somewhere with all that hard work you have done,,,must be driving you crazy to hit a brick wall here...bob

I read online that a lot of the older GM cars/trucks used that 11/16"-36 shaft.