Hand/Park Brake Bendix internal expanding problem on G-75

The hand / park brake was inoperative on this unit, so I dropped the driveline, removed the drum and shoes with the linings worn and loose from the shoes. I sent them out for relining and when they came back it seemed that the linings that were installed were thinner ( actual lining 9/32" thick). I installed them and couldn't get them to adjust up and grab the drum. In the slack position I can fit a 9/32" drill bit between the linings and the drum. Does any one have a part number or specs on the Bendix park brake shoes? I'm thinking they should have at least 1/2" lining thickness when new.  

I will send it back. You have to realize that most places haven't dealt with this type of equipment in 40 or 50 years and all the people that did this are long gone along with the part catalogs of the era. I'm trying to give them guidance on exactly what I need. I couldn't think of a better place to seek this info than this web site.

Are you sure that it is assembled correctly, I  have never seen a drum brake were even if the lining is missing the steel part of the shoe still reaches out and grabs the drum fine 

Actually that isnt correct, I have seen miss matched drums, shoes, s cams and rollers on s cams that under heavy brake application can go past the high point on the s cam  

It sounds like it isnt put back together correctly, or maybe it never was put together correctly when you got the truck, I have no idea on the history of this so cant offer any more advice than that 

Maybe check part numbers if you have access to a parts book and confirm all parts are correct 

Paul

I found these linings on ebay, it says they fit B models so I don't know if the G used the same. It says they are 1/4" thick.

NOS Set Mack Emergency Brake Shoes for 1960-1970 H61T, B60ST, B60T & Some L Series.  #221-SJ-20A or GG2033D.  5x1/4" for 12" Drum!!

Bob,  you are very perceptive, I apologize for my snarky remark. Everyone likes a little ass but no one likes a smart ass. As for the G with the rad out for re-core I replaced the water pump and all the belts and hoses. The generator was replaced with a Delco 22SI alternator, Steer springs out for repair, next is returning the truck to electric start and removing the air start system (it came from the factory with electric start). The 40 plus year old 10X22 tires will be changed out to fresh 11R24.5 rubber. Last significant item will be to fabricate stirrup style steps under the doors ala early Freightliner cab-overs or F Macks. This is the hardest truck to get into and out of as it sits that I have ever encountered. 

OK so it looks like they’re mainly off to work on it easier wow I didn’t think it really needed anything I thought it was mainly ready to go are used to own a cruise liner years ago and it seems like that was the same way not extremely difficult to get in and out of but it wasn’t easy and I was only back in my 20s then … Bob