Mack E7 swap

Stitch117

I have been arguing with my father about rebuilding and restoring my grandfathers 1991 Mack CH600. It has a Mack E7-400 runs good but shows its age being a 31 year old truck with 2,069,000+ miles on it. I want to put it back on the road hauling bulk grain/fertilizer and livestock. 

1.) Am I crazy for wanting to do this vs buy a new/newer truck? 

2.) Can I swap the E7-400 for an E9?

3.) Best locations to get parts for the body, cab and sleeper? 

Thanks everyone for helping make this kids dream come true! 

If you got the time and money I’d say it gets my vote for a second life. In the long run it’s still gonna be a lot cheaper and far less issues then a new truck, depending on what you consider buying…Plus a 91 ch is cool. Only downfall I could see would be getting parts idk. 

• Like 1

I'd leave the E7 there as a Tribute to your Grandfather. He managed to do 2 Million Miles with It the way It Is..So why Change It..??

But at the end of the Day.. It's your Truck, Money & Time, Do whatever Floats your Boat...

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

An E7 427 as far as I can tell is the best that Mack had to offer.  When these trucks were new their was some tuning the Mack garage could do to pull better power out of them.  

Looking back at your post this truck being a 91, it is a mechanical engine, you are better with that engine than any other.

As for parts: Iowa has a lot of options for truck parts, But compare prices, some truck dismantlers are higher priced than others.