Coolant filter retrofit

R.E.D

My cv713 did not come equipped from factory with a coolant filter .I would like to add one.attached is a picture of a truck that has the mount for the coolant filter , mine has two npt plugs in its place.Does someone have the part number for the coolant filter mount?or is just better to install a generic one from Amazon or eBay that mounts to engine or chassis.thanks 

Red

Screenshot_20211110-211015__01.jpg

how about taking the last six of the v.i.n. on the truck in the picture and calling Mack to get the part or the part number.? Mack pricing may scare you, but if you have a parts guy who is friendly with you , he can give you the part number.. jojo

• Like 1

No need to have a coolant filter installed with Long Life Coolant. It already has additives installed. If you install a coolant filter, then you run the risk of damaging internal engine components. If you decide to have a coolant filter installed then you will have to switch to green coolant. 

V

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

how about taking the last six of the v.i.n. on the truck in the picture and calling Mack to get the part or the part number.? Mack pricing may scare you, but if you have a parts guy who is friendly with you , he can give you the part number.. jojo

No such thing in my area.they keep part numbers more secret than the coca cola formula

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Vmac3 said:

No need to have a coolant filter installed with Long Life Coolant. It already has additives installed. If you install a coolant filter, then you run the risk of damaging internal engine components. If you decide to have a coolant filter installed then you will have to switch to green coolant. 

V

You are right.but won't stop small debris from getting in the cooling system from what could be negligent driver error from putting the coolant cap down somewhere or adding water to make the right mix..in my opinion a filter would add a second barrier of protection..but I might be wrong...just my .02 cents

Red

• Like 1

filtration is always good..   get the test strips for the coolant to be sure you are in the good zone..  no biggie, just do it to check behind a slack driver and so on....  hell i have had to fix cooling systems because a company driver put water or coolant in a jug that had any form of oil in the jug you can think of and it f'd up the system because rubber seals swelled or the coolant tank swelled,,, ie: a freightliner... coolant tank with diesel in it... stay on top of it...  jojo

37 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Oh Hell...  I get it....  sorry

All 3 or 4 mack dealerships Houston are Vanguard trucks.same employees who swap locations all the time.they caught on to people asking for part numbers and just going somewhere else to buy pai

Don't some aftermarket coolant filter come WITHOUT the additives in them? Could be wrong there but was thinking they did? 

I'm a fan of the extended life coolant and forget it. If you run a filter with additives and extended life coolant, you get the sludge crap that floats at the top. 

• Like 1

the mount you want needs to be a Mack mount...  you could just for kicks, measure the diameter of a coolant filter and check the threads,,, metric is my guess....  take the measurements or your friends old filter to NAPA then buy a spin on fuel filter with the same dimensions, and then you will have filtration without the Ph balancer pellet inside.... just a filter...  

I’ll check our parts books or Mack truck portal on Monday for the part number. If for some odd reason I can’t find it there, then ill have you give me your last six and I’ll call Bergeys Truck Center and get it from them. 

59 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Haha, thanks. Appreciate that, I actually learn ALOT from Joey Mack, Vmac3, Glennakerstwo, fjh, and a bunch more guys on here. I’ll see about getting that part number first thing Monday morning. 

Thanks .. Don't forget old macktechnician.😅

Edited by R.E.D