Adding left hand air cleaner to B61

As the title says, I'm adding an air cleaner to the driver side of my B61. I have the bracket made as well as the backing plate but am puzzled about that plate. All of the mounting holes through the bracket and pipe surround are 3/8" (on the factory stock pass side) but the bolts that hold those things on are 5/16". This means that the head of this bolts are a bit smallish for the holes that they cover. I have yet to weld the nuts on the backing plate and am pondering whether to stay with the 5/16 through 3/8 holes or just go 3/8 bolts for a better fit. If I go 3/8 that will mean that I have to cut all the nuts off the pass side backing  plate and replace them with 3/8 also. What have others done when adding the driver side can??. Also, anything else I should be considering that may not be obvious??. 

Likely "wiggle room" for factory assembly and not worrying if it will fit.

Is there enough room behind the dash for the plumbing?

You realize the drivers door will no longer open as far?  I'm a skinny ass but it is still a bitch to get in the passenger side of the truck.  I put a felt bumper on the air cleaner bracket so as not to accidentally dent my fresh NOS door shells if you happen to throw the door open too hard.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

14 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Likely "wiggle room" for factory assembly and not worrying if it will fit.[/quote]

That was the only reason I could come up with as well. Just sees odd.

[quote]Is there enough room behind the dash for the plumbing?[/quote]

There is plenty of room if I get "fancy" with the plumbing to clear the steering support but instead, I am going to make a custom support so the plumbing can be rather simple like the stock plumbing on the pass side since the support on both trucks were broken anyways. 

[quote]You realize the drivers door will no longer open as far?  I'm a skinny ass but it is still a bitch to get in the passenger side of the truck.  I put a felt bumper on the air cleaner bracket so as not to accidentally dent my fresh NOS door shells if you happen to throw the door open too hard. [/quote]

Yes, I am considering a couple ideas in that regard

On 11/6/2021 at 6:05 AM, Freightrain said:

Likely "wiggle room" for factory assembly and not worrying if it will fit.

Is there enough room behind the dash for the plumbing?

You realize the drivers door will no longer open as far?  I'm a skinny ass but it is still a bitch to get in the passenger side of the truck.  I put a felt bumper on the air cleaner bracket so as not to accidentally dent my fresh NOS door shells if you happen to throw the door open too hard.

Ot cant be to bigger the door not opening fullt as the air cleaners on a B model are on the drivers sude in Australia, hear plenty of complaints about lack of cab room but rarely about access

Paul