Mack Mdrive tailgating

Good morning, I have a new '22 Granite dump truck with an Mp8 455 and an Mdrive 12spd. Has anyone with this setup ever tried tailgating a load and have been able to have the PTO working and raise the body while moving? Our whole company is new to this mdrive setup and trying to learn more about it.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure you already found your answer, but I got this from salesman I was talking to when I enquired about this truck. But it was already sold. It had the M-drive also.

[When the truck is in gear, the brake acts as a clutch pedal. Typically you would put the truck in neutral to lift the box and dump but you can still do this in gear to spread- You still have control over the box/ PTO as long as you are not feathering the brake.

I hope this helps/ makes sense.]

IMG_3995.jpg

• Like 1

Are you talking about spread dumping? This is Joey Mack's wife I have driven these trucks and did spread dumping. The truck I drove was a 2019 GR104F Quad with M Drive and high rise tail gate. You do not use the high rise tailgate, you use your chains.

19 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Are you talking about spread dumping? This is Joey Mack's wife I have driven these trucks and did spread dumping. The truck I drove was a 2019 GR104F Quad with M Drive and high rise tail gate. You do not use the high rise tailgate, you use your chains.

I believe that is what the op was asking....how to tailgate spread with the chains when you have an M-Drive.....if the PTO can be engaged and the box raised while driving in gear.

I also wondered....I guess you CAN engage the PTO while driving with the M-Drive? I wasn't sure if you had to stop first.

My wife is talking to me from the kitchen now,  she say's when you set up for a spread, set youre chains for the thickness of the spread, then raise the bed till you here the product start to slide, then put it in drive and as you move, the bed will raise as you move forward. use your speed for lay down.... she say's it takes practice because she drove dump trucks with cable operated dump valves so she would set in gear and go, and spread with the lever...  it's doable...  My wife kick's ass!!! Jojo

Ya, I've always done it with a manual trans. I didn't know how the M-Drive works with no clutch. I didn't know if you had to be stopped in neutral to engage the PTO, or if you could engage on the fly.

I still remember spreading with the Mack 12 speed in a Superliner. You had to pick the right gear to get the box to raise at the right speed to match your road speed. It was like a 5 speed PTO, LOL

I love spreading gravel. Especially with the pony trailer on. Do the trailer, hit the diverter valve and do the truck in one shot.

But I especially like not trucking at all any more, LOL So much nicer just looking at them now, remembering the "glory days" LOL

• Like 1

No,  she wasnt respected at the last job  this year, so after 34 years of driving.. she switched gears...  doin something totaly different...  took a job with Carvana driving a roll back delivering cars to fancy pants customers...  LOL :)  

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling

Amen! She say's she still loves truck's She want's a Canary Yellow long nose Pete with Bug eye headlight's just to go buy groceries...  I still cant sell her on a Superliner... oh well  

Thank you very much! I guess I will put a rack body on it and drive it to the grocery store and run errands around town.  We have a few truck shows close by, I hope to be in them, and maybe Parades. I have to get the brakes working, and replace all of the wiring. (I will leave all of the original wiring in place so when I do go to shows, folks can see how it was made back in 1948). I also need to find some mirrors. I just put the glass in it last week.  It runs good, I have driven it in my neighborhood, I used the hand brake to stop it :) .. jojo

KIMG0722.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

No,  she wasnt respected at the last job  this year, so after 34 years of driving.. she switched gears...  doin something totaly different...  took a job with Carvana driving a roll back delivering cars to fancy pants customers...  LOL :)  

Oh I’m sure some of those customers are a joy to deal with…cool truck, just don’t see much of that anymore. Only going to get worst. They are hard to find as it is, what makes it worst is that people of my generation just don’t care about that kind of stuff anymore. They just see it as “junk” and “gross polluters” but really they are the gross polluters with the way they want this country to go….😒 I’ll leave it at that haha. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 10/13/2021 at 10:01 AM, Eriksf250 said:

Good morning, I have a new '22 Granite dump truck with an Mp8 455 and an Mdrive 12spd. Has anyone with this setup ever tried tailgating a load and have been able to have the PTO working and raise the body while moving? Our whole company is new to this mdrive setup and trying to learn more about it.

I just remembered responding to this question months ago and was thinking that possibly some parameter changes could fix the issue. I learned today that I was wrong . We have been using the Mdrive trans with great success for the last 2 years even with our feed trailers with the auger boom. 99% of the farms we deliver feed to it works great. However, one farm is laid where we could slowly spread over a larger area and speed up the process by doing this. And it does work while moving at under 5 MPH. However is almost impossible to keep it that slow without using the brake pedal.  I never really thought about it but the brake pedal on a Mdrive is basically a clutch pedal too. Hit the brake pedal and the clutch actuator pushes the clutch in and of course the PTO stops spinning. We looked in the free online Mack Body Builder website and it recommended using the REPTO flywheel RTO with the MDRIVE or Allison transmission. While this is only a minor problem for us but I could see it being a issue tailgating gravel/rock in dump trucks.