Unexpected purchase. DM686

On 8/21/2021 at 5:30 PM, mowerman said:

that thing looks real good,with just a clean up,wow....saved ton of money,messing with that fuel pump yourself...good deal....last price i got was $ 3,500 exchange for a new one,and that was back in 86...bob

Not that bad overhere. I think it would cost me nearly $150 US to revise the pump in a friendy shop together with recalibration. If new plungers are needed it would definitely be another deal

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 8/20/2021 at 11:00 PM, 85snowdog said:

Glad you got it running .  I imagine the mirrors and mirror arms from the DMM will have a new home on this truck ?  

Not that bad too. But a good point. The DMM was purchased already with no mirrors and arms. So I kept my eye for any and didn't miss a chance to purchase a complete DM cab off a mixer truck which was parted out locally. BTW the truck was originally imported by that same Turkish company. The arms were on the cab and complete but painted black steel not SS. So I continued to keep my eye (actually I keep it for any Mack related stuff on a constant basis). Another ocassion was also DM, dump truck that time. Quite late production, the paperwork was marked as 2004 but I doubt they were in production that late. The truck was for sale but far away and my pockets were also far away from making purchase at the time. Big issue was the rear bogie was completely ruined so the truck was offered standing on 6 wooden blocks (and in 2000km from me). Turned out another person who was locally to the place made fast purchase. But it followed to very fast parting out and further really fast scrapping. I think I posted that story in the past, it was a couple years back. Unfortunately I can not boast of I was right in time to the deal. But grabbed a bit of stuff from there. Purchased two solid doors, two gray seats, two battery boxes and a complete SS set of the mirror brackets. So both my DM and DMM are "armed":)

thats fantastic..especially the doors.....thier as rare as hens teeth ,,,here..i have the same issue here in my area,,,but i was very lucky to find a rebuilt transmission..65 miles from here,,,and real good doors off a F model   everything else is still available thru mail order........bob

I'm happy to hear your stocked with parts to bring your Macks back to life . 

I had a little setback with my DM. When I got it, not a light ,gauge, speedo ,tack, or anything worked . It moved and dump box worked. I guess that's all that mattered to the previous owner . Well after fixing everything and changing all the fluids , even the coolant . I even fixed the air conditioner 😃

I took it for a test drive and it was overheating. So I've flushed the rad and put in a new thermostat. I'm hoping that fixes it. I haven't had time to test it . So here's hoping . 

• Like 1

Keith 

Keith, sounds like you have good progress on the truck. Although all those little odds and ands bring pleasure when this or that issue is fixed but they take time. And bad thing is they in many cases take time off major projects.

Bob, glad to hear you stocked a set of doors for your DM. I wouldn't say "Have a ball with them" (sorry, couldn't resist) but advise you to bring those doors to a body/paint shop and ask to revise them and paint the color the truck is supposed to be in. Actually it's a sufficient part of job but doesn't require disturbing the truck. When the doors are ready you will fit them on the cab and the next step may be the hood. I made that thing with doors on my R-model. Found a good pair, parted out, brang to a paint guy, chose the color, payed for the job and brang ready doors back home. Than tinkered with each of them during a few weekends. When all the glass was installed, new chromed handles fitted and mirror arms polished up, I asked a couple of guys for a help and we installed ready doors onto the truck. So I have two beautifully done doors on my R-model since. For almost 6 years to the moment. Have to admit though about nothing beside those doors :):)

• Like 1

good advice,,i already put one on years ago passenger side....but im going to take them both off,,,,before paint...strip them and paint everything seperate and yes they are very heavy,,,need 2 people to hang them properly,,,even when they are stripped completely,,as i said i have been collecting parts for the last 27 years,,,all i need now is a bunch of little things that you could pretty much buy at any truck dealership....have a big order coming from watts....bob

Edited by mowerman
misspell
  • Like 1