1958 B61 fire truck

2 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

??So no B-61's went to Pierce, Farrar etc as commercial chassis?

Some probably did if someone bought the chassis and sent it to another manufacturer, but the great majority of Mack fire trucks were built.  I’ve heard Mack did sell its chassis to competitors until the 70’s but that is just hearsay.  I have an A30 commercial chassis the has a body built by American.   I was told the fire company bought it and sent it to American.   Mike. 

Wouldn't be a refurb.  B61 was a commercial chassis.  B75, B85, B95 and B125 were fire chassis.  If it started out life as a fire truck, it was first purchased as a chassis and sent to a third party fire apparatus manufacturer.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

2 hours ago, General Ike said:

Wouldn't be a refurb.  B61 was a commercial chassis.  B75, B85, B95 and B125 were fire chassis.  If it started out life as a fire truck, it was first purchased as a chassis and sent to a third party fire apparatus manufacturer.

Yes-but don't those designations you cite specifically refer to a Mack produced fire truck?  Mack chassis and Mack produced fire equipment.

Nothing would stop a fire  department from specing a B-61 and shipping it to an apparatus co.  

Just thinking-I do  believe the C series Ford was the  most widely used commercial chassis for fire trucks during its long production run.  I  wonder if any N series Macks ended up in fire service?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Yes-but don't those designations you cite specifically refer to a Mack produced fire truck?  Mack chassis and Mack produced fire equipment.

Nothing would stop a fire  department from specing a B-61 and shipping it to an apparatus co.  

That is what I'm saying.  This wouldn't be a Mack Fire Apparatus refurb.  Had to start as a commercial chassis and either when new or at some later point was configured by a third party into fire apparatus.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"