cast iron flywheel housing

Sorry Glenn, I have never done this swap before. I do remember a bulletin that was released years ago from changing a housing from a non vmac to a vmac housing where you had to use longer bolts.

Data erratic code. I'm assuming you tried to adjust the sensor. Is the sensor lined up with the flywheel markings? 

V

was there even a threaded hole for the sensor? wasn't a non v-mac tach driven by the injection pump??  i'm forgetting more and more as time goes on,🙃... I need more E-7's in my life. Joey.....

Yes we made sure the sensor drilled hole was located in same spot on both housings.The one nonVMAC engine or i have two that has the RPM sensor on the left side counting flywheel teeth.We have changed sensors from one truck to the other and did remove sensor and the sensor is looking at 6 slots in the flywheel.No one here at mack knows if they used a cast iron flywheel or not on a VMAC but that is all that is left that i can think of.I put a new engine wire harness on also.We set the sensor closter and farther away from the flywheel and same code.The engine will run with that sensor connected or not with no change in the sound.

glenn akers

5 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

Yes we made sure the sensor drilled hole was located in same spot on both housings.The one nonVMAC engine or i have two that has the RPM sensor on the left side counting flywheel teeth.We have changed sensors from one truck to the other and did remove sensor and the sensor is looking at 6 slots in the flywheel.No one here at mack knows if they used a cast iron flywheel or not on a VMAC but that is all that is left that i can think of.I put a new engine wire harness on also.We set the sensor closter and farther away from the flywheel and same code.The engine will run with that sensor connected or not with no change in the sound.

Might be a distance from the flywheel teeth to the sensor along the teeth length. I mean the sensor put further to the back of the truck or close to its front. Or another and more troublefull issue due to different magnetic properties of cast iron relating to aluminium.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

7 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

was there even a threaded hole for the sensor? wasn't a non v-mac tach driven by the injection pump??  i'm forgetting more and more as time goes on,🙃... I need more E-7's in my life. Joey.....

Yes, I have mechanical E7 and E6-350 with electronic tach and the sensor put in the flywheel housing. E7 has a cast iron one.

35 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Might be a distance from the flywheel teeth to the sensor along the teeth length. I mean the sensor put further to the back of the truck or close to its front. Or another and more troublefull issue due to different magnetic properties of cast iron relating to aluminium.

different magnetic properties of cast iron relating to aluminium

That is what i am wondering about.

glenn akers

On 6/13/2021 at 12:43 AM, theakerstwo said:

different magnetic properties of cast iron relating to aluminium

That is what i am wondering about.

Would be interesting to connect an oscillograph to the sensor put either in cast iron and alu housing and watch for actual signal shape. I personally have never done such checks but my dad was all over that matter at his job.

• Like 1
  • Like 1