Engine stays revving after release of accelerator

Jpri

This has happened to me twice now. The linkage is not getting stuck but the motor stays at whatever rpm I was running at for about 10 seconds. The first time I was putting down a road at low rpm and when I came up to a stop sign it just stayed at 1100. Today I was heading down the Hwy full acceleration from stop lights and it stuck full throttle. The accelerator and linkage moved freely and doesn’t seem like a runaway engine because the rpm didn’t increase. Any ideas? It’s a 80 super liner with a 671 315 hp.

2 hours ago, Jpri said:

This has happened to me twice now. The linkage is not getting stuck but the motor stays at whatever rpm I was running at for about 10 seconds. The first time I was putting down a road at low rpm and when I came up to a stop sign it just stayed at 1100. Today I was heading down the Hwy full acceleration from stop lights and it stuck full throttle. The accelerator and linkage moved freely and doesn’t seem like a runaway engine because the rpm didn’t increase. Any ideas? It’s a 80 super liner with a 671 315 hp.

Is this an inline six or V? you may have one bad injector causing this!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, after doing some research it is most definitely a governor issue. It looks like a bolt on assembly, can it be removed and replaced without messing with calibration of the pump? If so where can I buy one or the parts inside of it for that matter? I can’t find anything online except for rebuilt pumps.

13 hours ago, Jpri said:

I believe your right, I don’t know why I thought it was a 671 ci. I just bought this this and still figuring everything out.

K so on the older 315 MACK  engine  there was a bunch  Monkey motion springs and  linkage behind the pump make sure that stuff, if its still there isn't binding or causing issues if its there get rid of it!  Also check your throttle lever on the side of the pump for a  broken spring Its spring loaded and can cause the rpm to float wildly!

Edited by fjh

All the linkage and springs look good, I noticed another problem today,my Dynatard is not working. I was suspecting the governor and I just read somewhere that the Danatard is connected to the governor on the fuel injection pump also. I think I’m going to get an injector pump for it and throw it on there and see if that works. I don’t think there’s any point of looking inside the governor housing and trying to figure out what’s wrong with it because I cannot find parts anywhere online if I did see something was broken.