Trouble getting Nexiq interface to connect to VMAC program

When connecting the Nexiq interface, I can see in the "Device Tester" that the interface is reading the modules but, the VMAC software says that it is not connected. I have tried changing the various settings on the interface but when I take it off J 1708, it quits reading the modules and will not do anything. Please help.

• 11 months later...

What year and model.are you trying to connect to? There should be a rocker switch to flip from ABS to Diagnostics. You should be set on Diagnostics. And key should be on.  On Diesel Explorer there's a "Components" tab, that shows you which computers the Diesel Link sees.  If it's a VMAC III you should see listed the EECU, VECU, as well as ABS module if it has one.  If one is missing then you could have a power fault in the wiring to the missing ECU.

If it's VMAC III and your check engine light is on you can pull 2 digit "blink codes" by holding the bottom function of the cruise control (I think it's Set/Decel) with the key on.  Cruise on/off switch needs to be off to do it.  Count the flashes of the lightning bolt and post them here, someone can tell you what they mean. After one code is spat our push the button to request another code. Keep doing it til it starts repeating itself.

• Like 1

It's a 2001 CH truck.  When I use Diesel explorer it shows multiple ECU's (engine,ABS, and one or two others).  What does the rocker switch look like?  I also can run a test connection through Nexiq tester app and can see all ECU's.

It's like the nexiq drivers won't communicate with VMAC.  I get the prompt seen on the left in the picture, then I click on preferences to choose nexiq but nothing is listed.

277361736_703627224155671_6090042129161835017_n.jpg

the ABS rocker switch is under the dash, above the brake pedal. it is lit up in 'orange'  if you can retreive the 2 digit codes, I can tell you what it is for..  What year/model/ engine series/tranny/?  jojo

7 hours ago, IHfarmboy said:

It's a 2001 CH truck.  When I use Diesel explorer it shows multiple ECU's (engine,ABS, and one or two others).  What does the rocker switch look like?  I also can run a test connection through Nexiq tester app and can see all ECU's.

It's like the nexiq drivers won't communicate with VMAC.  I get the prompt seen on the left in the picture, then I click on preferences to choose nexiq but nothing is listed.

The old VMAC 3 software is getting harder to run as laptop operating systems are updating so fast now a days. Uninstalled your Nexiq drivers and  Go to Nexiq website and download the newest drivers . We had problems running Cummins Insite and the older VMAC 3 program on the same laptop because they both used the Nexiq interface. 

• Like 1

No doubt MackPro,  I remember, continuasly updating PTT, and the few times I used a Nexis box, was just 'ok'..  Ive been away from these systems for a few years, with the exception of setting up PTT for a customer of mine,, however, no one there knows how to use it, or speak english, so all the money he spent for me to renew the system is now gone. Its been over 6 months, so it all needs to be be re-set, passwords and the like..    If these systems arent used regularly, they just go away to a point, then more money has to be spent to get it back..  its sad..  jojo

9 hours ago, IHfarmboy said:

Try Mack Default and select whatever USB port # you're plugged in to...

9 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

the ABS rocker switch is under the dash, above the brake pedal. it is lit up in 'orange'  if you can retreive the 2 digit codes, I can tell you what it is for..  What year/model/ engine series/tranny/?  jojo

2001 CH613 E7 with 10sp Eaton

I'm getting 4-1 code.  

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

The old VMAC 3 software is getting harder to run as laptop operating systems are updating so fast now a days. Uninstalled your Nexiq drivers and  Go to Nexiq website and download the newest drivers . We had problems running Cummins Insite and the older VMAC 3 program on the same laptop because they both used the Nexiq interface. 

I'll try and uninstall Nexiq drivers and see if that makes a difference.  I tried uninstalling VMAC but that didn't work.

4-1 is the speed sensor in the tranny output shaft..  If it's a screw in type,,, remove it, inspect it, clean it, ohm it out, based on the part number stamped in it.. if you can see the part number, post it,, should start with 64MT... when you screw it back in, go in till it touches then back it off 1 full turn, and ,lock it down..   jojo

The first 2 seem minor to me. Need to be fixed, but minor.  That 291 perplexes me. "See Diesel Repair"? Is that code for "something mechanical is broken so we're derating"?  Pull valve covers maybe to see if there's anything outside of ordinary with your valve train?  How's the oil pressure and fuel pressure?

23 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

have you just simply looked at the wires on the VSS sensor, and the truck side to see if they are chaffed, or broken, or just not right??  jojo

Yeah they looked fine. I'm getting 12volts down to the VSS sensor.

I checked the cam and crank sensor and only getting 0.25 volts to them.  Is this correct?  The cam sensor tested at 800-900 ohms and the crank was reading 19,000 ohms.  We are replacing the crank sensor when it comes in Friday.  It was seized into the bell housing and had to break it to get it out.

• Like 1

Replaced both crank and speed sensor.  The engine is still derated.  Was looking on the passenger side and found the harness coming out of the firewall is melted.  I'm trying to repair it and see if that fixes it.

I still can't get the Nexiq to work with VMAC software.  Not happy with only being able to read codes with it.

vocom II driver - MHH AUTO - Page 1 mhhauto.com
Volvo Premium Tech Tool PTT VCADS 2.8.61 [2021 ... autopartscatalogue.net
Volvo VOCOM 88890300 PTT2.03 software Free Download ...

This is the system I am familiar with, and Premium Tech Tool..  I have used Nexiq, but never really liked it as much and at times I sucked at it...  The Vocomm 88890300 has worked very well..  I do not own this system, but if you have a fleet or just want to get the best you can get without having dealership authority, I beleive this is it..  I hope we see more opinions, especially from the guys that are still at dealerships... jojo