How to identify Mack truck electrical system?

Benjamin

Question

18 answers to this question

without knowing the year..... V-Mac 1, ( with injection pump).. when you turn the key off, the electrical shuts off immediately...... V-Mac II,,, (  with injection pump) will have a 7 second delay when you shut the key off, this ,model also has an F.I.C. module in the right kick panel.  Fuel Injection Control.... and if the engine has 6 individual fuel pumps, then it is a V-Mac III,  I believe V-Mac IV came out in 2004-2006... The data port above the clutch pedal will be a Black 9-pin plug...  If I missed something, there are a bunch that can fill it in for you.. Jojo

On the wires there is a code that helps you trace it's origin.. (V-MacIII )..for example J-1/12/.08 ...  this means the wire is in the J-1 plug (EECU) pin #12, .08 wire size... If there is a letter, ie: a,b,c,  that indicates points where the wire changes or intersects...  once again, others can fill in my blanks. Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
  • Like 1

yes, but am not exact ,I forgot.. I believe V-Mac I came out in1990 with the birth of the E-7.. in '92 I think is when V-Mac II came out, those engines had electric governor housings on the injection pump...  V-Mac III came out in 99,  with the E-TECH.. V-Mac IV came out in 2004 with the ASET engine...  I need "V" and "F" to confirm what I'm saying.. I think I'm right.. Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed

I had a 94 and 95 that were vmac 1's. On the firewall near the windshield washer bottle is a wire harness plug if it is square it will be vmac 1 if round vmac 2 with inline pump and vmac 3 would be an etech.  At least that's what I always thought

I think youre right... I thought later that it was '94 for V-MacII,, I coudlnt remember the plug thing, but now I remember hearing  the plug on the firewall was a way to tell...  I'm forhetting some things because I dont work on too many early 90's trucks as much.. heck,, iv'e been working on more mid 80's trucks lately, 3 superliners in the last 6 months...:) Jojo

V-Mac I and II are very basic, and most diagnostics is done with your, eyes, ears, nose, and hands...  If your P.C. has "Mack Software" you can use it.  Does P.T.T. still link you to "Mack Software"? Assuming you are at a "Mack" Dealership...

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed

Well Ben.... I'm not at dealerships anymore, so.... I can't help you with that part.....there are some here that do work at Dealerships.. they will be a better source...  good luck on getting the answers you need.... keep trying... jojo

Thank you DCW. Joey is a very kind person, helping out and sharing his valuable experiences. 

The easiest way to visually figure out if the truck has a Vmac1 or Vmac2 is,  Vmac1 had a square electrical pass-through and Vmac2 had a round aluminum connector that had a nut that secured it self to the firewall plug. Vmac3 came out in 1998 and of course it had the EUPs. 

Vmac 4 came out in 2005ish, it was first introduced to the MP7. Vmac4 is the red Mack engine. Volvo first introduced this engine to Mack then later to itself. It was a US04 emissions vehicle. It had an EGR system but no exhaust after-treatment B.S. Yes it even had copper injector cups that never failed. Vmac4 is still in use today, it really is Volvo's software. When they introduced these new engine to Mack I attended dealer training, they told us that they wanted to make Mack and Volvo engines visually and audibly different, so one thing that they did was they changed the fuel mapping on the Mack so it would sound different from a Volvo and lets not forget the paint color. 

As for PTT, it will connect to Vmac3. 2013 Mack vehicles were called Vmac4. In my opinion, arguably the best vehicle that Mack made was Vmac2 especially the last ones built. The wiring was very good, it had very thick insulation, the engine was almost bullet proof. The fuel system was top notch. 2 million km was not out of the ordinary on these puppies. 

V

• Like 2

From what I have studied and have been told the production years of the VMAC Generations are as follows:

VMAC I - 1991-1995 ( These models had 2 ECMS, a vehicle control module and a FIC module)

VMAC II - 1996-1997 ( This model was basically the VMAC 1 but streamlines into 1 ECM)

VMAC III - 1998-2003 (E-TECH Unit Injector Engine)

VMACIV - 2004-2007ish? 

Up until 1997 a full mechanical E7 was still available upon special order I believe.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. 

Vmac3 has a good explanation of this in one of my posts here: 

Edited by kevgibbs

Hello Ben.. I don't recall.. Are you at a Mack Dealership?  If so.. You can search the answers in Pro-path, watch the tutorials, and take the tests. You can look back on the classes as needed... NOW.. I've been out of the dealership almost 2 years now, so I do not know of any changes in the education. By no means am I saying you wont get help here, but as you complete pro path, you work your way towards a raise and eligabilty for schools, once classrooms are back in session, that is..  Keep pluggin away at it. jojo

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 7:58 AM, kevgibbs said:

From what I have studied and have been told the production years of the VMAC Generations are as follows:

VMAC I - 1991-1995 ( These models had 2 ECMS, a vehicle control module and a FIC module)

VMAC II - 1996-1997 ( This model was basically the VMAC 1 but streamlines into 1 ECM)

VMAC III - 1998-2003 (E-TECH Unit Injector Engine)

VMACIV - 2004-2007ish? 

Up until 1997 a full mechanical E7 was still available upon special order I believe.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. 

Vmac3 has a good explanation of this in one of my posts here: 

Yes you would be correct with a fully mechanical fuel system. I had seen a few glider kits with those engines.

The exact date of when Vmac4 came out I don't recall, but I do remember it was in the 2005 Mack Pinnacle trucks with a MP7 with no exhaust aftertreatment. From 2005 to 2012 (with a red engine) Mack called their electronic system VMAC4. When US2013 emissions came out it was called VMAC4+ and to date it is called the same. The next emissions change has been implemented from 2021-2027 for the reduction of greenhouse gases.

Here is the link for more information.

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emissions-vehicles-and-engines/regulations-greenhouse-gas-emissions-commercial-trucks

The EPA is targeting trailers as well. I am not sure as to how, my guess more aerodynamics, less paint, tire inflation systems, super single tires to name a few. They may even get rid of the auxiliary cable and have a 4 pin cable with a power, ground and J1939  communications from the truck and trailer. Not sure, but changes are coming. If someone has more information on trailer changes I would be interested in knowing what.

V