Trucking News: Hino Turns to Cummins for Engines, Accelerates Electric Truck Development

BMT Forum Bot

That's at least the 3rd Truck Manufacturer to abandon their medium Engines to Cummins..

They Too clearly think the Future is Electric Power..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Pretty wild. Kind of tells you something about these ridiculous emission laws when a company like Hino/Toyota gives up and goes vendor engine.

Good for Cummins though. They own the whole medium duty market now except for Ford. Pete and Kenworth can call them Paccar's, but they are 6.7 Cummins too with Paccar decals on them.

Between all the mediums, Ram pickups, farm tractors like Versatile and Kubota M8's and construction equipment......that 6.7 Cummins has to be the best selling motor there is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

Pretty wild. Kind of tells you something about these ridiculous emission laws when a company like Hino/Toyota gives up and goes vendor engine.

Don't Forget IZUSU have also signed a very similar Deal with Cummins Too..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

3 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

So now that Freightliner also went Cummins, what does this mean for their recently developed Detroit DD5 and DD8?

They are slated to be phased out over the next few years.  Most Freightliner M2's sold these days are Cummins powered anyway.

Only other medium duty I can think of other than Ford that isn't Cummins powered is the Chevy/International.

Diesel is going to be over regulated like gas engines. I still think hybrid set ups is a more viable medium for for meeting these regulations and actual reality. Where is everyone going to plug in and get the electricity from if government keeps regulating  out the  internal combustion engines?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Diesel is going to be over regulated like gas engines. I still think hybrid set ups is a more viable medium for for meeting these regulations and actual reality. Where is everyone going to plug in and get the electricity from if government keeps regulating  out the  internal combustion engines?

Don't think they have thunk that out yet !Up in BC Canada Were building a new Dam to Power All the New electric Vehicles were Gona sell!🤪All electri By 2030 !🤓

On 3/16/2021 at 1:20 AM, RoadwayR said:

They are slated to be phased out over the next few years.  Most Freightliner M2's sold these days are Cummins powered anyway.

Only other medium duty I can think of other than Ford that isn't Cummins powered is the Chevy/International.

Well that had to be a colossal waist of development money.....to bring those engines to market for the very short time they were available.

Ya, I forgot about the Chev/CV being Duramax powered. But International is still a Cummins user in the MV.

Good thing is you know Cummins should be all over development of those 6.7 motors, because EVERYONE is using them. So if they have issues, everyone will know about it, LOL 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why HINO TRUCKS quit on their own diesel engines that have been proven to be reliable and eficient.

I don't buy that story about the HINO A09C 9.0L Diesel Engine not passing E.P.A Emissions Certifications when they do pass the more strictier European Emission Standards.  Same for the J08E 7.1L Diesel Engine wich HINO TRUCKS have been using until now WITH NO ISSUES.

Something pushed HINO TRUCKS into going with CUMMINS for Diesel Engines, maybe taxation on imported components went higher and we know HINO imports their diesel engines from JAPAN. Maybe CUMMINS pushes HINO to buy its diesel engine in exchange for HELP with electrification of HINO TRUCKS.

Too bad HINO will use the same generic diesel engine as its competirors, if there was something that set HINO TRUCKS apart was their own diesel engines known for being reliable and trouble-free.

Our 2007 HINO J08E 7.1L Diesel Engines have been more reliable than our 2018 Cummins B6.7 (International Truck)

I was expecting to order some new HINO XL7 trucks with HINO A09C 9.0L Diesel Engine (360 HP / 1050 lbs/ft and "Jake Brake") it was a superior specification than what a MACK MD7 offers with a Cummins B6.7 only 260 HP / a mere 660 lbs/ft and NO "JAKE BRAKE"

HINO TRUCK loose big time now.

• Like 1