Winter fun

RowdyRebel

10 four on the ass clowns there’s a bypass I like to use from Bridgeport through Nevada State Lane are use it anytime I get a chance it’s full of hairpin turns but there’s nobody on it and no coppers I would take it all the time except it’s around six minutes longer but when you get to the straightaways you can let her rip ha ha ...bob

I like being on roads where there is  nowhere to stop. Crossed the Chester bridge one day a year or so ago heading into Illinois, and DOT was sitting in that little welcome center. Pulled out behind the line of cars behind me, hit his lights & started passing...so I slowed down to let him by before approaching traffic got to us. He pulled in right behind me...so I stopped. Right there blocking the road, halfway up the hill, with a rock wall on both sides of the road & zero shoulder. He had to get out of his car & deal with me right there while we were blocking traffic on the narrow 2-lane. He wanted it. He got it. I've done the whole "I know there's a big gravel lot 1/2 mile up the road, so I'll just pull in there where it's safe" and it didn't buy me an ounce of professional courtesy. Nope. The instant I know they're wanting me, I stop. Right where I am. Don't care if it's safe or not, because they've got the lights on their car & badge on their chest to protect them. He had to get out of his car, walk up, and talk to me right there directing me to a "safe" place...and of course I played dumb, until he said "just follow me" ...so he had to walk back to his car, pass me, then traffic could move again. It was fun. He had portables & weighed my steer...then did the math based upon my scale ticket to determine my drives were OK...guess he didn't want to dig out 2 more pairs (drives & a tag). Got a warning ticket for no spare fuses...he would've kept looking 'til he found something, so I figured that'd be the simplest & least consequential item to get a warning for. Soon as I didn't produce any spare fuses, the inspection pretty much stopped. He filled out the paperwork & sent me on my way.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

On 2/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, RowdyRebel said:

I like being on roads where there is  nowhere to stop. Crossed the Chester bridge one day a year or so ago heading into Illinois, and DOT was sitting in that little welcome center. Pulled out behind the line of cars behind me, hit his lights & started passing...so I slowed down to let him by before approaching traffic got to us. He pulled in right behind me...so I stopped. Right there blocking the road, halfway up the hill, with a rock wall on both sides of the road & zero shoulder. He had to get out of his car & deal with me right there while we were blocking traffic on the narrow 2-lane. He wanted it. He got it. I've done the whole "I know there's a big gravel lot 1/2 mile up the road, so I'll just pull in there where it's safe" and it didn't buy me an ounce of professional courtesy. Nope. The instant I know they're wanting me, I stop. Right where I am. Don't care if it's safe or not, because they've got the lights on their car & badge on their chest to protect them. He had to get out of his car, walk up, and talk to me right there directing me to a "safe" place...and of course I played dumb, until he said "just follow me" ...so he had to walk back to his car, pass me, then traffic could move again. It was fun. He had portables & weighed my steer...then did the math based upon my scale ticket to determine my drives were OK...guess he didn't want to dig out 2 more pairs (drives & a tag). Got a warning ticket for no spare fuses...he would've kept looking 'til he found something, so I figured that'd be the simplest & least consequential item to get a warning for. Soon as I didn't produce any spare fuses, the inspection pretty much stopped. He filled out the paperwork & sent me on my way.

Wow,never heard of anyone being asked to show spare fuses..

• Like 1

Common around here to be asked for fire extinguisher, fuses, and bulbs, or lamps.

This is usually only when they are digging and don't find major flaws or infractions.

Driver "attitude" has a lot to do with it.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:38 AM, mowerman said:

10 four on the ass clowns there’s a bypass I like to use from Bridgeport through Nevada State Lane are use it anytime I get a chance it’s full of hairpin turns but there’s nobody on it and no coppers I would take it all the time except it’s around six minutes longer but when you get to the straightaways you can let her rip ha ha ...bob

Some interesting country near there as I recall.  In the '70s, did some training not far from Bridgeport.

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

Sonora marine base???? Bob

I'm not sure what the correct name is now.  Back then seem's we just referred to it as Bridgeport.  We had air transport to Fallon, then by road.

As I recall, the buildings there in the '70s, for the most part, seemed to be Quonset hut style.  Long time ago now, summer time,  the area has probably changed alot.

Edited by FarNorth

I took the 208 bypass Last night had a ball only one out there had my high beams on for like 65 miles I heard there was a boulder in the middle of the North Lane 395 2 trucks hit the boulder perfect excuse to use the bypass lol... bob

On 3/4/2021 at 12:32 PM, FarNorth said:

I'm not sure what the correct name is now.  Back then seem's we just referred to it as Bridgeport.  We had air transport to Fallon, then by road.

As I recall, the buildings there in the '70s, for the most part, seemed to be Quonset hut style.  Long time ago now, summer time,  the area has probably changed alot.

There is still not a whole lot out there you might be surprised probably looks the same... bob

18 hours ago, mowerman said:

I took the 208 bypass Last night had a ball only one out there had my high beams on for like 65 miles I heard there was a boulder in the middle of the North Lane 395 2 trucks hit the boulder perfect excuse to use the bypass lol... bob

Great to hear on the low traffic!

Winter travel in that area must be challenging at times?

Not sure I would want to drive it nowadays.

Edited by FarNorth