Midliner

Rick01

Question

I am wanting a Mack dump truck. I need some advice please.  I am needing information on midliner truck 1986.   I found one with 39,000 miles on it for sale.  Looks like new but I’m concerned with parts and the braking system.   Any. Advice please. 

10 answers to this question

It's been a while since I worked on Midliners. They are very good trucks, and do a great job for their size.  What I do remember, was finding the parts... Everything comes from France, and my Mack dealer doesn't care about them... I guess you may want to look for Knowledgeable mechanics and a parts vendor.... I may have stated obvious stuff here,,.. Jojo

On 2/20/2021 at 8:12 AM, Rick01 said:

I am wanting a Mack dump truck. I need some advice please.  I am needing information on midliner truck 1986.   I found one with 39,000 miles on it for sale.  Looks like new but I’m concerned with parts and the braking system.   Any. Advice please. 

Midliner brake parts can be impossible to get from Mack, plus they are more expensive than you could ever possibly believe.

Most of the parts for that truck are getting difficult to locate, were crazy to get when they were only a couple of years old.

Think RD 6 wheeler.

2 hours ago, ctonline said:

Midliner brake parts can be impossible to get from Mack, plus they are more expensive than you could ever possibly believe.

Most of the parts for that truck are getting difficult to locate, were crazy to get when they were only a couple of years old.

Think RD 6 wheeler.

Thank you.  I have decided against that truck and today I bought a 2002 rd600 .   

• Like 1

for me ... it's too bad.... the Midliner is a great truck! unfortunatley, the removal of great vehichles is faster now than ever...  Your "R" model is also great..... Save all the parts you can save, stay here to chat with us, and keep looking for people that give a damn about what you have... I work on "B" models off and on... and I'm currently working on an '86 RW 713..  When I call for parts...... (know one cares.).. Fix that problem and you will run that "R" model for a long time... Jojo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

for me ... it's too bad.... the Midliner is a great truck! unfortunatley, the removal of great vehichles is faster now than ever...  Your "R" model is also great..... Save all the parts you can save, stay here to chat with us, and keep looking for people that give a damn about what you have... I work on "B" models off and on... and I'm currently working on an '86 RW 713..  When I call for parts...... (know one cares.).. Fix that problem and you will run that "R" model for a long time... Jojo

Truth is I don’t know anything about Mack trucks.  I have always heard they are the best.  I just wanted one and one that is a true Mack that parts are readily available.   I simply don’t know much about trucks.  I do know I am the proud owner of one today.  Took me 62 years but I made it .   

Midliner parts are readily available, just not in the U.S.

They  were sold all thru Europe and Australia, almost all parts can be ordered on line

I guess that of risk of sounding rude and offending people in the U.S. and that is not my intention at all

Americans are pretty spoilt compared to the rest of the world for spare parts shopping and arent used to shopping for parts like the rest of the world are

We use a lot of interpretation of what parts are, we have our own books in languages we will never understand and before the internet we would telephone overseas, wake up at what ever hour to suit the time frame of the country we need to order parts from and then go down the street to the bank and get the money transferred and currency converted to what ever it had to be 

This was pretty normal once, the internet has streamlined things considerably

No I'm not having a go, just trying to point out that parts are available, but maybe not at your local Mack dealer, pretty soon even the genuine Macks we speak like of your new R model will be the same so we 

Congratulations on your new purchase, nothing like a R model

Paul

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Well said, Paul...  I appreciate what you said...  When I have to hunt parts for the older trucks I work on, it's a heck of an effort. I do have a 12 page phone list, with many numbers and address's from around the world... Mabey I need to dig it out and use it.. I guess I could post the info for folks, to help them... Good luck Rick.. Jojo