B85 Spark Plug Question

Robb

I recently acquired a 1956 B85 and we need to replace the spark plugs. I've heard that both sides take the same plug and I've also heard the opposite. Can someone confirm which it true. The service information I have doesn't mention using 2 different ones but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!

Robb 

Twin ignition 707 engine my info show the same plugs for both.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

AC, NGK or Bosch as a 3rd choice. I've had so so luck with Champion over the past few years. Had to many fail for no reason.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I agree with 41 chevy . Stay away from Champion. I have put new Champion plugs in a few two cylinder tractors in rebuilt engines ran the tractor for an hour or so, Then a few months later the tractor would not start until the plugs were replaced. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. It starts, runs and idles well but it's not running real smooth at higher RPM's. We are replacing all of the plugs and installing a new set of spark plug wires, which it needs anyway.

Thanks again and I appreciate y'all sharing your knowledge.

Robb

Thanks. Carb was rebuilt and the gentleman we got it from always used non-ethanol and we're doing the same. I appreciate the information though. If he hadn't made me aware, I probably wouldn't have thought of that.

Robb

After you do the plug wires and road test it, if it still rough at hi speeds a few things can cause the issue. Point bounce, the flat springs do  lose tension with age,  ohm the primary and secondary winding's in the coils out. They can break down and at higher RPMs can cause a slight misfire.  Check Primary side ohms from + to - terminals should have a value of .4 to 2 ohms.  Check secondary ohm from + terminal ( - side if the system is still positive ground) to coil wire tower values should be from 6000 to 12000 ohms.

I only mention how to check it because most techs are not familiar with old school systems.  Paul

• Like 1
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

When I was looking into replacing the plugs on my father’s B85 I talked to a lot of people.  I believe Info from the mack museum said Champion D14 and D16 (I think that was the number).  A mack restorer told me to use all D16. That is what I did.   
i have also had trouble with Champion now and am buying Autolite    Mike. 

• 2 weeks later...

The other option is go electronic ignition, I did a write up on that a few years ago when I swapped the points out on a 707 in a B95. 

You can search for it on the site and find all of the info and I purchased the high quality cap rotor wires and other parts from John Brillman. He actually has the template to make up the original wire sets with the Packard 440 original type wire and Pertronix electronic igntion. His number is 540-477-4112 or www.brillman.com. He also has the old truck disease (Autocar). 

Firemack

Edited by Firemack

Thanks for the advice. We actually got plug wires and a couple of new coils from him. We did discuss the electronic ignition and I’m sure we’ll switch at some point in the future. Had we not already bought the new plug wires, we probably would have switched it over then. 

Thanks again!