Holland Fifth Wheel Rebuild

Rebuilding the Holland XA-2009, FW2000, fifth wheel has turned into a pain in the ass. The Holland instructions make it sound like a piece of cake. They say to make a helper block out of hardwood or steel, they should just say steel, that oak block I made did not work until I wrapped it in 1/8” steel strap. After that and greasing everything it went ok until the instructions said release the handle, easier said than actually accomplished.

The real frustration occurred when I adjusted the lock wedge with a piece of 2” steel tubing in there, it’s the same diameter as the small part of my kingpin. Now when I pull the handle the lock retracts like it should but the jaws don’t open!

If I back the adjustment off it works

So I tried it again using a new king pin with the same results

I am wondering if I can’t pull the handle far enough because the fifth wheel is not attached to the truck.

The rebuild procedures, XL-FW134-01, reference Holland publication XL-FW225, XL-FW303 and XL-FW340. I have been unable to find these 3 documents on the Holland website.

fb289912fc5cd25d63fa169cbce43fa8.jpg

3d0ef37cad23f5774600c918ed2f5096.jpg

I most likely am wrong 

So please ignore if you reckon Im completely of track

Put the grease plate back on the truck

Drop a hook or some such thing in the jaws if they are closed 

Hook off a chain block Im thinking, and hook the other end to the chassis

Pull the handle to release the jaws and and pull the chain block back to open them

Then just start using as you normally would 

Im guessing a tiny dag or burr the poofteenth type size is causing the drama and after a use or two I think it will be fine

Paul

Ironically I was working on this exact model fifth wheel today for a no latch complaint.  They can be a real bear to release without the tool or some leverage when on a bench.  Make sure your cam plate bolts are not too tight to where it binds.  Here is a troubleshooting guide for this hitch.  

http://literature1.safholland.com/sites/damedit/literature/XL-FW451-01_en-US.pdf

After calling Holland, getting advise, and still having problems I called my truck parts house and they referred me to the local Holland distributor. So I called them and they said It happens sometimes with the XA2009 because there are 4 different jaw designs. There recommendation was for me to bring them the plate and they would adjust it. They are probably going to grind the swinging lock per the Holland manual.

I also brought them the second plate.

These plates date from 1989 and 1978 and neither has much use.

The 1989 plate had 33,000 miles on the truck and this plate is being rebuilt because the springs rusted up from 10 years of storage. This one received a full rebuild kit.

The 1978 plate was taken apart because the grease had solidified on this one the parts were reused after cleaning because there was absolutely no wear. The dolly this is mounted on does not appear to have ever been used

Both plates are on military surplus equipment.

8 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

After calling Holland, getting advise, and still having problems I called my truck parts house and they referred me to the local Holland distributor. So I called them and they said It happens sometimes with the XA2009 because there are 4 different jaw designs. There recommendation was for me to bring them the plate and they would adjust it. They are probably going to grind the swinging lock per the Holland manual.

I also brought them the second plate.

These plates date from 1989 and 1978 and neither has much use.

The 1989 plate had 33,000 miles on the truck and this plate is being rebuilt because the springs rusted up from 10 years of storage. This one received a full rebuild kit.

The 1978 plate was taken apart because the grease had solidified on this one the parts were reused after cleaning because there was absolutely no wear. The dolly this is mounted on does not appear to have ever been used

Both plates are on military surplus equipment.

I'm not a big fan of the single pin design!  I hesitated to respond to this post as what I had to say was not usefull to your issue ! how ever I will say it anyway ! in my mind This design is a danger to the motoring public You can't be sure it is totally locked ! The original adjuster out the front design FW 3500  is a far superior unit Safety wise If that adjuster is in the wheel is locked period ! With the single pin jaw Its a crap shoot!We sold several of these units when they first came out and eventually went back to the 3500 due to the hit and miss nature of the lock design of the XA2009  ! I know this doesn't help you as you already spent the dollars Trying to save a buck !

Sorry But  just an opinion!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...