E7-427 questions

So I have mixed stories about this engine E7-427 It’s in a 2003 vision etech vmac 3. Some say it can be bumped to a 460 as they have the same internals and then I hear I gotta do turbo and injectors. At either side I can’t find anyone in Pennsylvania that works on them besides Mack that is reputable. Somethings gotta be able to be done it’s the slowest weakest truck I have ever owned. Any info is appreciated.

Leave the 427 file in it. Has a better torque curve than the 460. Antrim in Greencastle pa is really good performance shop that does a lot of E-7s. Blixxton has a plug and play tuner but im not sure if it works on CCRS E-7? We put one on a 99 460 and it was night and day difference in power and gained .75mpg. Huge puff of smoke between shifts but clears up real quick and 850-875 is hot as pyro gets and 38 psi on a cold morning. 

Some guys here with bigger injectors are pushing 45+ psi. If you do a lot of stop and go city driving the BW S467 (1.15 A/R i believe) has good throttle response but the top end will suffer a bit. If you do mostly highway driving i would get a s475 1.32 A/R. It will lag a bit off the bottom, but once it spools hang the **** on. 

Edit: here's the link to the Blixxton. Imo it was worth the 1400 price tag. Already paid itself over in fuel savings. Stock turbo and injectors it hangs right with the 93 with bigger injectors/turbo and blixxton. That's what I would do 1st. 

https://www.rochesterdiesel.com/store/product-blixton-mack-200-performance-module_322

Edited by brettj3876
  • Thanks 1

You can pick up those 475's for 600 new. In order to gain anything though you have to do injectors at the same time otherwise that'll be too much turbo. The last few days up here in the 90s we haven't had any heat issues either. Turn the fan on bottom of a hill and water temp maybe hits 215-220 on a hard pull running close to 80k 

I just put new injectors in it from D&W in Binghamton and the guy told me don’t run bigger injectors because the tips tend to break off. My truck never sees more then 200 degrees on engine temp and swings maybe 28psi on the boost and it will see 900 degrees on the exhaust temp if I lug it to death. Just seems like it’s not getting the fuel it needs. Charge air cooler is new, intake manifold gaskets, intake to compressor tube, charge air boots are all done. 

7 hours ago, Stangbangin said:

I just put new injectors in it from D&W in Binghamton and the guy told me don’t run bigger injectors because the tips tend to break off. My truck never sees more then 200 degrees on engine temp and swings maybe 28psi on the boost and it will see 900 degrees on the exhaust temp if I lug it to death. Just seems like it’s not getting the fuel it needs. Charge air cooler is new, intake manifold gaskets, intake to compressor tube, charge air boots are all done. 

28 psi seems a bit low. I thought 427 file was somewhere around 34-36psi. We're 10 min south of Binghamton

Don't listen to those guys. We've dealt with d&w before. By law they can't do any hp increase due to emission regs. I haven't heard of injectors cracking and there is a lot of guys running stage 2 & 3 on here. Antrim has dyno'd a few E-7s putting 700+ to the ground. 

Since you just put new injectors in I'd go with the Blixxton. It made the 460 a completely diff animal. I think you'll be happy with just that. Seat of the pants dyno felt like 100+ hp easily. 

If you run alot of North East good chance you spotted us before

20180908_161945_HDR.jpg

20190315_140530.jpg

Edited by brettj3876
  • Like 1

Throwing any codes? The boost i feel should be higher. Someone familiar with 427 should chime in and say for sure what boost you should be seeing but IMO it seems off. 

If you don't have access to code reader w/Vmac3 card send me a pm. I have pro-link 9000 with Vmac3 card