Replacement Fuel Lines 1972 ENDT-675

tenfive0

Question

I blew the radiator in my 1972 CF-600 February this year. To all who may be familiar with a CF-600 you know what a major PITA it is to work on any engine components on this specific Mack Truck model. The engine and all its components are basically buried in the middle of the truck with out easy access. I'm close to getting the truck back on the road. I had the radiator re-cored, all new belts, coolant lines, hose and a new alternator. So far all the parts I've replaced have appeared to be factory original equipment and parts. I'm trying to add dependability and reliability moving forward.

It appears the fuel lines on the truck are original also. While at it with other repairs and replacements I've chosen to replace the fuel lines. I'm open to suggestions or recommendations what might be best to use as replacement for the worn out and deteriorated existing fuel lines.767466157_Mack4.thumb.jpg.1a57e6675dc31d8c38bb7027ac512a82.jpg434517906_Mack1-2.thumb.jpg.316fabc5474cfb89d488ecfada7d6065.jpg

Mack 11E.jpg

8 answers to this question

• A is a priming pump
  • I like the original fuel lines  but  they can collapse on the in side and stop the flow of fuel so keep them a way from exhaust .I also like DOT nylon tubing as fuel line very easy .

Most good shops will have hose and fittings in stock with an in house crimping machine.  Bring the old hose and your pictures so they can see what is going on.  There is a construction difference between a pressure and suction line.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I used crimped on fitting and hydraulic (type?) hose from the water pump to the air compressor and from the air compressor to the block. I'm not happy of pleased with the fitment or application. Overkill in my opinion. Way to heavy, unyielding and bulky to work with. 

Mack 11E.jpg

Idk if they still make it but those fittings are reusable. That hose looks like aeroquip single wire braid (what we called it back in 90’s) on the screw on fittings, and the other we called push-lock by aeroquip. Just cut the hose off barbs. The others unscrew, the part that screws on hose is backwards thread if I remember correctly 

Fuel lines are metal, between the fuel injection pump and the injectors. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean the fuel hoses to/from the fuel injection pump?

Fuel lines would be Mack part numbers:

203GC3221A

203GC3222

203GC3191

203GC3192

203GC3193

203GC3194

I finished putting the CF back together yesterday afternoon and started it for a test drive. Took it for a few mile run. All the repairs so far (knock on wood) seem to be good. No Coolant leaks. Everything went well but as suspected I have sprung a leak in one of the fuel lines. In the attached picture above, line one (1) has a small leak. Test started the truck the morning. It started and ran fine so I'm thinking the leaky hose is a return line to the tank?

Is there a lift pump that brings or sends fuel from the tank to the injector pump? Are all the flexible fuel hose low pressure?

Mack 11E.jpg

The fix. I wound up using push lock fittings and 300 PSI Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Hose. I was way over complicated the issue.

I took the hose (with the fittings) that was leaking to the shop I bought the new fittings and hose from  The old original hoses and fittings on my truck is no longer available. The shop I bought the new parts from said the factory installed hose and fitting were 1940's or 1950's technology. 20200608_142524E.thumb.jpg.7cca8133d0b560761095b59175f9cca0.jpg

That was EASY. You got to love modern technology. The old parts lasted 48 years. If the new parts last half as long they'll out live me.

Mack 11E.jpg