Prices of old trucks.

Neat information. Thank you for digging it out and sharing it. You must have been your Mack salesman’s best friend in 1979!  

What was the big project in 79-80 that you were building up the fleet for?

Dave

Yes,we had a big sewer plant job here in Philadelphia to do.Million or so Yds. Of incinerator waste to truck over to the landfills of nj.We ordered the r models and the dm’s first,but we had to wait for the r model so dad not wanting to waste anytime had the dealer find him some trucks fast.Our dealer was Trenton Mack at the time and they came up the 10 u models that were ordered by one of the leasing company and canceled the order so dad brought them.All of the tractors pulled Benson dump trailers that were custom built.The u model were a little lite for us,they could only top out at about 85,000.Now the r models we spec them out heavy,so they could carry some weight.I remember going over the Walt Whitman bridge grossing over 110,000.We had a scale on the job so every truck got weighed.The independent truckers ran by the ton.After the job we got rid of all of the u models.Still have one of the r models it only has 73,000 miles on it.

• Like 2

Great piece of industry history Mike.  Thank you for sharing. 

I live the the Philly burbs and have worked for H&K and Allan Myers along with a few others the past 17 years on the project management side of the business. I could see either one of them buying that many trucks in a year, but probably not for one job. 

Looking forward to seeing photos of your B and R projects in the future and the finished products at the shows. 

Dave

I do not want to hijack this thread but wanted to ask any of you from the Trenton or Phila area if you have ever heard of or seen HERMS TRUCKING INC or H M ROYAL INC both from Trenton, NJ? My dad and I both worked at these companies way back when. Herms had red/white R/U/F Macks and pulled flatbeds and dry vans. HM Royal is still in business today but only has 1 IH straight truck. HM Royal had green/red  B/R/F Macks then they changed to white/blue R Macks and pulled bulk tanks and dry vans. Thanks for any information on these and I apologize for the hijack.

Hopefully you were able to make better numbers with in house equipment and being able to sell them in the end. 

I grew up in the Boston area and my Dad used to dispatch for a sand & gravel supplier. At times in the 80’s he used to have around a hundred hired trailer dumps running bank run gravel into Boston every day. I think the most they ever had was 5 company owned tractors to set the pace. 

Thank you for the offer to see the trucks. Definitely will take you up on this once this craziness starts to clear up. 

Stay safe. 

Dave