Traton Makes Offer For NAV

RoadwayR

8 hours ago, TS7 said:

Bullheaded down here Navistar has become rare in the construction market. I know people that were burned by Navistar built Cat trucks and Navistar trucks in general.   

Unfortunately the same could be said for Mack up here. We have dealers that don't seem to be interested at all in selling them. They make their living off maintenance contracts for a couple mega fleets that run no Mack products.

When would you have ever thought you'd see Peterbilt taking over the ready mix market!! Lafarge has been buying nothing but Peterbilts around here now.

• Like 1

I will say this there were a lot of Paystar mixers here at on time, but now FDM is king now for ready mix. But one thing is for sure here if you see an older Autocar, LTL 9000 Ford, Mack RW753, CL753, Star, KW, Pete or FLD Michigan special tractor pulling a MI 8 axle train or 3-4-5 axle lead, very, very good chance it has a Cat under the hood. That owner is going to run that truck as long as he can. I have said this before, the day some truck maker talks Cat into going back into the heavy truck engine market, they will sell every one they build. It can be done and I am sure that there are people at Cat that know it.     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Ya, but do you really want a new Cat with emission equipment? It will be a headache just like every other engine out there.

I respect Cat for getting out, rather than sell us government mandated junk.

In retrospect as far as Cat and NAV were concerned, SCR was clearly the way to go, not massive amounts of EGR.  A Cat 3406/C-15 with SCR would probably not be any more reliable than anything else out there today.  Didn't we see the C-15 with SCR briefly in that Caterpillar truck?  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

Silence!  Guess the offer wasn't good enough?

Not sure if you are talking to me? If you are, I already said a new SCR Cat would likely not be any better than any other new engine out there. Just look at the issues with their new loaders and their emission systems.

I want pre-emission Cat's back. Which at the end, when Cat announced discontinuation of the cat truck, they did sell some glider's. I should have bought one of those and put a 6NZ in it.

As far as new trucks today, my dream truck would be a new International with a Detroit Diesel DD series engine in it. That's what I want!

26 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

Not sure if you are talking to me? If you are, I already said a new SCR Cat would likely not be any better than any other new engine out there. Just look at the issues with their new loaders and their emission systems.

I want pre-emission Cat's back. Which at the end, when Cat announced discontinuation of the cat truck, they did sell some glider's. I should have bought one of those and put a 6NZ in it.

As far as new trucks today, my dream truck would be a new International with a Detroit Diesel DD series engine in it. That's what I want!

No sorry.  Was referring to Traton's offer for Navistar.  And I am with you, an HX with a DD15 would be a sweet truck.