Triplex transmission

NLC

13 minutes ago, NLC said:

My Tri plex transmission will not go into lo. It shifts from direct to high ok. Any information would be appreciated. 

You may have to be in 1st gear to get low! a few Mack Trans were like this!

Edited by fjh

Not really a lot of information in the original post? Mechanically will not slip into the Low position, or does the shifter handle move but a fork or gear selection doesn't? Never have seen an interlocked triplex myself so I could still be wet between the ears too.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Not really a lot of information in the original post? Mechanically will not slip into the Low position, or does the shifter handle move but a fork or gear selection doesn't? Never have seen an interlocked triplex myself so I could still be wet between the ears too.

no interlock on the single countershaft transmissions, they started on the triple countershaft trans.    terry:MackLogo:

Just now, terry said:

no interlock on the single countershaft transmissions, they started on the triple countershaft trans.    terry:MackLogo:

I agree. Did the term "triplex" carry over? I've never heard any later triple countershaft trans referenced as such.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

I agree. Did the term "triplex" carry over? I've never heard any later triple countershaft trans referenced as such.

Unless they are confusing triplex and triple countershaft, of course then you have the 12 spd. three transmissions bolted together.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terry said:

Unless they are confusing triplex and triple countershaft, of course then you have the 12 spd. three transmissions bolted together.    terry:MackLogo:

Couldn't agree more. The 12 speed as I remember had to be in low gear to go into low range due to the interlock. However the old triplex reference kinda got me out of kilter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NLC said:

It’s the old tri plex in a B61. The shifter will not move when you pull it over to low. The shifter works fine in direct and hi. 

Thanks for the update. Does the shifter handle readily move through the neutral gate to where you would pull it back to slide into gear? Does the shifter handle attempt to move into the low gear position? There is a gate apparatus on the top of the transmission that can be rusted precluding it's operation and they also can get packed with mud dependent upon the truck's usage. This gate apparatus is designed to be greased but much of the time neglected for years. Remove your floor pan and it will be readily visible having the two rods which should slide easily for shifting the compound.

Agree, the back box has external shift rails and go to the side of the back box.  If not lubed i can see it not wanting to go into low.  I just had my rods out of mine last winter replacing the clevises to tighten things up.

It could be the detents jammed up also in the top of the box.  Or even the shifter itself?  It is exposed and if not lubed could rust up.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

We loosened up the rods and now have the top of the back box off seems that the shift collar on the bottom shaft is the problem. It will move about 1/16 of an inch back and forth. Will check further tomorrow. 

I found out what is wrong with my triplex transmission. I need a 741KBA  1152A gear assembly, a 747KB 347 gear , a 320KB  251 clutch and 3 of a 3AX 839 screws. Does anyone know where I might locate these parts? I have not called Mack yet. They maybe obsolete. 

They are probably obsolete. Last I checked it was getting hard to get anything two stick except some quadraplex parts. PAI shows nothing for a triplex any longer.