Powder Coating:

I'm attempting to gauge interest in powder coating as I have been approached by a party to purchase their operation, (equipment only). Seemingly this would be congruent with operations I'm setting up for.

I've used them in the past and the product is very good, but locally not enough work to exist upon as they catered only to a certain market.

In reality their business plan is/was not sound for long term existence after their single contract expired.

What I'm asking is if there is interest in this operation from a restorer's point, and why, or why not? I will have extra capacity in a new venture after the first of the year and am looking to fill that capacity with a second operation.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've had good experience with powder coating with a couple different shops. But like you said, the cost of entry is low so there's more powder coaters out there than the market can probably support. The first powder coater I used went under and the county economic development authority foreclosed on their loan and is now trying to sell the shop and equipment. The second powder caters has a more realistic business plan, he's renting space at the auto repair shop he works at so his investment is minimal. Given that you've already got a shop, if the price is right this could be a good deal for you.

Back when all the powder coating equipment was large it kept the small shops out of the market

Now you can get much smaller equipment so everyone is doing it.

My opinion is if you are adding a service to an existing shop and the payoff from doing your own work in house is good then it is a wise investment.

What is the capacity, size, of the oven? Will an axle housing fit in there?

There is a large powder coating outfit near me in Manassas, VA, American Striping. Here is a link to their website: https://www.ascoweb.com/.

Their work and turn around is good at a reasonable price. They have done large military vehicles as an example of how large of an item can be done. The times I have used them there seems to be a large amount of automotive and outdoor furniture items being done. I'm sure they have commercial manufacturers also which would be more consistent than walk ins.

The large and insulated oven is bolted together in sections easily any length desired. Right now a full sized four door pickup truck would go inside it as it's about the same sized as a commercial paint spray booth. They were set up to produce parts with an overhead powered trolley with hundreds of attachment hooks. Kind of a neat setup with much of it automated for production work, but still allowed for manual/batch type work.

I had him do some V8 Mack engine valve covers in gray and they look nice. I think they were done in the smaller oven. I've never installed them so can't vouch for quality, nor durability, but to me they look no better than a good quality 2K paint. I can however see a great benefit to reaching hidden areas with the powder to ensure even coverage where it can be difficult to paint.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I had a local guy do my tank brackets.  He was big in model t wheels, but that market dried up with the aging crowd doing those cars.  I saw him a few weeks back at swap meet.  He is basically closed up, but keeps the shop for his own tinkering.  He's semi retired anyways.

The fellow I worked for building the two Willy's has a product shop.  He did a couple things years ago, but he stays plenty busy.  He is now retired and doesn't get involved with day to day stuff.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

When I was running my shop I was subbing my work to a company that did powder coating on a large scale but gene would do anything a customer brought in. I had some parts done for my bikes I was working on. If done well it is tough to remove. I just was talking to gene's son about chrome powder coat for my hood mack letters and dogs. He said he wouldn't do it for me I wouldn't be happy it looks like aluminum shiny paint and potmetal if pitted looks like crap when done with that color.

Your conveyance mirrors what I was told; hence the reason I went with gray on the valve covers. I was thinking I would go with the chrome powder coat also but was told much the same. Upon looking at sample chips the vendor has, it didn't look anything like electroplating to me.....

I really don't need to do this at all but if the price comes out right I'll jump as it's another opportunity. As mentioned earlier the shop space is available, and the capacity is there, so the subject should be evaluated.

Met with a gent yesterday afternoon to bid on installing overhead doors onto both my former car wash bay, and spray room. He vendors "Wayne Dalton" doors and they have no exterior bracing bolted to the back side of the panels so a true "vertical lift" type scenario can work. I have ceiling height to go straight up without any curvature and if any is required, only the top section. The one proposed door enclosing the wash bay will have a walk door centered so the overhead door will not be required to be opened for personnel entrance.

Currently the wash bay is open to the interior of the shop and the spray room uses a large sliding door I built from 2X6 framing, insulated, and covered with steel siding years ago. The spray room itself is heavily insulated as I used to "bake" cars in there during my body shop days.

I'm wanting to heat/cool these two areas independent of the main shop floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a submittal/proposal for purchase of this powder coat line the other day but have not evaluated it completely. If I had experience in this arena I may have more comfort; and therefore soliciting external input before proceeding with the equipment(s) acquistion. The real estate lease is a current sticking point as I have no intention of continuing operations in that location. I don't feel that is any responsibility of mine to undertake but there is no release, or termination in effect, (as of yet) and the current landlord has some type of lien or judgement against the former operator.

Looks like this could get ugly as the proposal was way higher than I would be willing to go.